Is Wikibooks a Reliable Resource for Learning about Transistors?

In summary, a transistor needs both adequate current and voltage to be activated right? And does it get damaged by connecting in wrong terminal?
hei
A transistor need both adequate current and voltage to be activated right? And does it get damaged by connecting in wrong terminal?

Engineering news on Phys.org
hei,

What type of transistor are you asking about? FET or MOSFET?

Ratch

My knowledge about transistor is too low, i have no idea what is FET or MOSFET yet, and i found this http://www.williamson-labs.com/images/e-spring.gif animation interesting, what does the spring mean? Does it mean the resistance increase when it is stretched longer?

hei said:
My knowledge about transistor is too low, i have no idea what is FET or MOSFET yet, and i found this http://www.williamson-labs.com/images/e-spring.gif animation interesting, what does the spring mean? Does it mean the resistance increase when it is stretched longer?

I did see that link when I was looking for links to post for you but dismissed it as not easy to understand

Did you visit any of the links I gave in my post above ?

Dave

Search my post history & I have given pages of discussion. Search the OEM like Fairchild, TI, International Rectifier, On Semi, etc. They have reliable info. Contrarians who go against those who make the transistors are not credible. If you allow yourself to be influenced by contrarians you will never understand anything. Stay away from anybody who opposes the OEMs.

Claude

hei said:
http://www.circuit-fantasia.com/collections/tools/pnfb-builder.html
I am trying to understand how the V to I convertor work. In that example, I a, not very clear what does this I to V convertor do in this circuit, why would we want to change the I back to V as we want to change the V to I ?

If you have such little basic knowledge then it is unlikely that you can jump so deep into this subject and expect to understand much. I think you need to start somewhere nearer the beginning.
If you didn't know Basic Algebra, would you feel able to jump straight into Integral Calculus with any success? It's the same with Physics.

Does wikibook is a good place to learn all these stuff?

Related to Is Wikibooks a Reliable Resource for Learning about Transistors?

1. How does a transistor amplify electrical signals?

A transistor works by using the movement of electrons to amplify electrical signals. It is made up of three layers of material, namely the emitter, base, and collector. When an electrical signal is applied to the base layer, it causes a flow of electrons from the emitter to the collector, which amplifies the signal.

2. How does the base-emitter voltage affect the behavior of a transistor?

The base-emitter voltage is a crucial factor in determining the behavior of a transistor. It controls the flow of electrons from the emitter to the collector. By varying the base-emitter voltage, we can control the amplification of the electrical signal passing through the transistor.

3. What is the difference between a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) and a field-effect transistor (FET)?

BJTs and FETs are two types of transistors that work differently. In a BJT, the flow of electrons is controlled by the base-emitter voltage, while in an FET, it is controlled by the voltage applied to the gate. Additionally, BJTs use both electrons and holes to carry current, while FETs only use electrons.

4. How does a transistor act as a switch?

A transistor can also function as a switch by controlling the flow of electrons from the collector to the emitter. When a voltage is applied to the base, it allows the current to flow from the collector to the emitter, turning the transistor "on." When the voltage is removed, the current stops, and the transistor is "off."

5. What are the applications of transistors in modern technology?

Transistors are used in a wide range of electronic devices, including computers, televisions, radios, and smartphones. They are also used in amplifiers, which are essential components in sound systems. In addition, transistors are used in digital logic circuits, which are the building blocks of modern digital technology.