IsaacPhysics - Climbing up a corner -

• Thread starter fernihough
  • Start date
In summary, Mark is trying to solve a problem involving balancing forces on a person. He was stuck on the part where he calculated the total force, Fr-total. After some help from other users, he figured out that Fr-total = sqrt( (mg)^2 / ( 4( μ^2 - 1 ) ) ).
fernihough
Homework Statement
Struggling with a tricky (level 6) IsaacPhysics problem and need help
Relevant Equations
F = uN
Newton's LoM
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mark and welcome to Physics Forums.

Unfortunately the rules here at PF say that we can't give you the full blown solution, but instead you must type here your best try and we can see what wrong steps you might have got and give you hints towards the right direction.
This problem is not so hard, it just requires a bit of thinking in three dimensions, while the majority of high school problems are usually in at most two dimensions.
Just carefully find all the forces in the x,y,z directions and then use the conditions that the total force in each x,y,z component is zero that is $$\sum F_x=0,\sum F_y=0,\sum F_z=0$$.

Last edited:
Likes berkeman and Lnewqban
Ok.

So in the Vertical direction, (y in the video), then there are two frictional forces (one on each wall)
So Sum(Fy) = 2 x Friction-y - mg = 0
So Friction-y = mg/2
(But does that assume there is no vertical component of the force from the person on the wall?!)

Taking one wall from the top (assuming the person exerts a force, F (without any vertical component)
can we say that F^2 = N^2 + Friction-x^2

Then I assumed F = mu * N

and that's where I get stuck!

The video (and you) are using y-direction where I would use z-direction and using the same x- direction for the horizontal friction forces from the walls, while I would use ##F_y## and ##F_x## for those two friction forces. But anyway let's focus on one wall so maybe we can reduce the problem to two dimensions.

You can use the inequality ##F\leq\mu N## only for the horizontal and vertical friction forces. You are right that ##F_y=\frac{mg}{2}##. Use that ##F_y\leq \mu N## to find a lower bound for the friction coefficient ##\mu##.

Now here comes the bit tricky part. What balances the friction force ##F_x\leq \mu N##?

EDIT : @haruspex has corrected me, we can use that ##F\leq\mu N## only for the total friction force ##F=\sqrt{F_x^2+F_y^2}##. This complicates things just a bit more.

Last edited:
fernihough said:
Friction-y = mg/2
Yes.
fernihough said:
does that assume there is no vertical component of the force from the person on the wall
No, and we do not care about forces on the wall, since those include whatever the wall is standing on. We are analysing the forces on the person.
The second diagram is misleading because it shows Fy acting down instead of up.
fernihough said:
assuming the person exerts a force, F (without any vertical component)
F is defined in the question as the whole force parallel to the surface. It has horizontal and vertical components.
fernihough said:
can we say that F^2 = N^2 + Friction-x^2
No. How do you get that?
F is the resultant of Fx and Fy.
fernihough said:
F = mu * N
Yes.
Try to answer @Delta2's question about balancing Fx.
Delta2 said:
You can use the equation F=μN only for the horizontal and vertical friction forces.
Not sure what you mean by that. We can use it only for the total frictional force, F.

Likes Delta2
haruspex said:
We can use it only for the total frictional force, F.
Yes you are very right on that.

In terms of balancing Fx, looking at the forces on the body as a whole from the top, then doesn't Fx = N?

Likes Delta2
fernihough said:
In terms of balancing Fx, looking at the forces on the body as a whole from the top, then doesn't Fx = N?
Yes ##F_x## from one wall is balanced by the normal force from the other wall.

So now you know ##F_x## and ##F_y## calculate the total friction force ##F## and set it ##F\leq\mu N## to calculate a lower bound for ##\mu##

The question initially asks for minimum force, F first, so my calc's were thus:
(I'll use Fr for friction..)

Fr-total^2 = Fr-x^2 + Fr-y^2

substitute Fr-x = N and Fr-y = mg / 2

Fr-total^2 = N^2 + (mg/2)^2

subs Fr-total = μN

Fr-total^2 = (Fr-total / μ)^2 + (mg/2)^2

which simplifies to

Fr-total = sqrt( (mg)^2 / ( 4( μ^2 - 1 ) )I tried this as an answer and the reply was that this was the Normal force, not the frictional force.
(Just to see where this went, I then multiplied the answer above by μ and it told me this was the frictional force, which makes sense if I had calculated N and not Fr-total).

I have the answer to the total force on the body now F^2 = N^2 + Fr-total ^2
BUT, I don't understand where I went wrong in calculating N and not Fr-total...

Ideas?

Thanks for your continued help :-)

Yes, that's what I started with - see below...

1628516433179.png

But the IsaacPhysics response tells me that I have just calculated the Normal force, not the total frictional force...

I can get to the correct answer for the total force on the body if I know why the above is the Normal force, not the total frictional force...

You did a simple algebra mistake $$1-\frac{1}{\mu^2}=\frac{\mu^2-1}{\mu^2}$$ hence at the very last step the correct expression for ##F_{r-total}## is $$\sqrt{\mu^2\frac{(mg)^2}{4(\mu^2-1)}}$$

Ah - now I feel dumb! ;-)
(I obviously missed the μ ^ 2 - trying to rush the simplification!)

Thank you, that all makes sense now.

The second part of the question is easy in terms of minimum μ - anything less than 1 gives imaginary roots.
This segues to quite a nice comment about the coefficient of friction as well:
https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_friction
:-)

Likes berkeman and Delta2
My way of proving that ##\mu\geq 1## which I think provides better physical intuition is that since $$\sqrt{N^2+(\frac{mg}{2})^2}\leq\mu N$$ we can get by dividing both sides by ##N\geq 0## that $$\mu\geq \sqrt{1+(\frac{mg}{2N})^2}$$. The term ##(\frac{mg}{2N})^2## becomes zero when the normal force N becomes infinite so the minimum value of ##\mu=\sqrt{1+0}=1##.

Cool.
Thanks again :-)

Likes berkeman and Delta2
It might be interesting to generalise it to any angle between the walls.

Likes Delta2 and hutchphd

1. What is IsaacPhysics and what is the "Climbing up a corner" activity about?

IsaacPhysics is an online platform that offers interactive activities and resources for learning physics. "Climbing up a corner" is an activity that challenges students to use their understanding of forces and motion to solve a problem involving a climber moving up a corner.

2. How can I access the "Climbing up a corner" activity on IsaacPhysics?

To access the "Climbing up a corner" activity, you can visit the IsaacPhysics website and create a free account. Once you have an account, you can navigate to the "Climbing up a corner" activity and start working on it.

3. What skills and concepts will I learn from completing the "Climbing up a corner" activity?

Completing the "Climbing up a corner" activity will help you develop your understanding of forces, motion, and how they interact in real-world scenarios. You will also practice problem-solving skills and learn how to apply physics principles to practical situations.

4. Is the "Climbing up a corner" activity suitable for all levels of physics learners?

Yes, the "Climbing up a corner" activity is designed to be accessible for learners of all levels. The activity provides hints and feedback to help guide you through the problem, and you can also choose to view the solution if you get stuck.

5. Can I use the "Climbing up a corner" activity for group work or classroom assignments?

Yes, the "Climbing up a corner" activity can be a great tool for group work or classroom assignments. It encourages collaboration and critical thinking, and you can also track your progress and performance on the activity.