Job prospects of electrical and electronics engineering

In summary: EE degree, as there are many different areas that require someone with this degree. A bachelor of EE will give you a good foundation in control theory, digital systems, power systems, and electronics, so it would be a good choice if you want to work in those areas.
desmond iking
i have deep interest in electrical and electronics components since i am small. so , i am thinking of studying E&E engineering. but , i have very little exposure to this field.
Can someone share what the E&E guys do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't work yet, but I'm studying electronics engineering (I haven't seen almost any electrotechnics/power stuff though).

The basic courses in the first 1.5 years are almost the same for all engineers. So you will study physics and maths, lots of it.

In electronic courses you basically see circuits made with components which represent physical parameters in a lumped way (e.g. a wire has a resistance that depends on its length, but you draw and think about it as an ideal wire with a resistor in a certain spot), idealized with mathematical models (e.g. V = RI for the resistor). Then the circuits gradually become more complex, the devices gradually become less ideal (more complicated equations and models are used for them, e.g. to describe a certain non ideal behaviour of something, you can put a resistor in parallel to it, which does not exist in reality, but allows you to analyze the circuit, or a capacitor linked to a certain node, which represents a parasitic capacitance you have to represent in some way in your model in order to do calculations, but is not a real component), and you see new ways of combining them to do better stuff, or new stuff. You will also see details about the components and how they're made too (e.g. integrated circuits), and how you get the models you use in your circuits from physics.

If you like tinkering with electrical circuits and like maths and physics, you will probably enjoy it.

Likes desmond iking
A degree like that can take you many places. Telecommunications systems design, Power distribution systems design, microprocessor design, RF and antenna systems design, and the like are direct outcomes from a degree of this sort. There are ancillary fields of study where an electrical engineering degree is very useful, including manufacturing, traffic management systems, embedded software design, and so on.

I received my degree in Electrical Engineering more than 20 years ago. These days I work on SCADA and control systems design. It includes issues such as telecommunications, network protocols, instrumentation, Systems programming, applications programming and so on and so forth...

If you can understand the math and build on it, you'll go far.

Likes AbdulManan
I plan to study electronic engineering . But if i take only bachelor of electronic engineering , will the chance of getting job scarce ? if i take the combination of electrical & electronic engineering, would I stand a better chance of getting a job? I need some advice here. i have just came across with Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (Control & Instrumentation, Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (Electronics)- BEE , Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (Power System) ...can someone explain what's the difference between all these 3 courses?

electronic engineering as in computer engineering?

If that is the case then there is a very strong demand

Related to Job prospects of electrical and electronics engineering

1. What industries can electrical and electronics engineers work in?

Electrical and electronics engineers can work in a variety of industries, including telecommunications, power generation and distribution, manufacturing, aerospace, and healthcare. They are also in high demand in emerging industries such as renewable energy, robotics, and autonomous vehicles.

2. What is the job outlook for electrical and electronics engineers?

The job outlook for electrical and electronics engineers is positive, with a projected growth rate of 5% from 2019 to 2029 according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. This is due to the increasing demand for new technologies and the need for engineers to design, develop, and maintain them.

3. What skills are important for success in the electrical and electronics engineering field?

Some important skills for success in this field include strong problem-solving and critical thinking abilities, a solid understanding of mathematics and physics, proficiency in computer-aided design and other relevant software, and the ability to work well in a team. Good communication and project management skills are also crucial.

4. What is the average salary for electrical and electronics engineers?

The average salary for electrical and electronics engineers varies depending on experience, industry, and location. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for electrical and electronics engineers was $98,530 in May 2019. Those with advanced degrees and specialized skills may earn higher salaries.

5. Is a graduate degree necessary for a career in electrical and electronics engineering?

While a bachelor's degree is the minimum requirement for most entry-level positions in this field, a graduate degree can provide advanced knowledge and skills that can lead to higher-paying positions and more opportunities for career advancement. It may also be necessary for certain specialized roles or research positions.