Justify exp(-x^2): Integral Solution

• Thread starter 188818881888
  • Start date
In summary, we have been asked to justify the equality between the two given expressions: exp(-x^2) = (1/sqrt(pi))*integral[(e^(2*ixy)*e^(-y^2)], y = -infinity .. infinity To do this, we can differentiate the given expression with respect to x and use integration by parts. After doing so, we get an integral that we can solve using substitution and find the general solution for. This solution will prove the equality between the two expressions.
1. Homework Statement [/b
exp(-x^2) = (1/sqrt(pi))*integral[(e^(2*ixy)*e^(-y^2)], y = -infinity .. infinity
how to justify this equality

Physics news on Phys.org

Expand the square:

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{\textbf{i} 2 x y} e^{-y^2} dy = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{(x+\textbf{i}y)^2} e^{-x^2} dy = \frac{e^{-x^2} }{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^\infty e^{-(y-\textbf{i}x)^2} dy[/tex]

Finish from there.

Thanks. But my mentor told me to do it a different way for some reason. He says to differentiate the inside of (1/sqrt(pi))*integral[(e^(2*ixy)*e^(-y^2)], y = -infinity .. infinity, with respect to x and then use integration by parts. I get stuck after I do that. Any ideas on what to do after that?

188818881888 said:
Thanks. But my mentor told me to do it a different way for some reason. He says to differentiate the inside of (1/sqrt(pi))*integral[(e^(2*ixy)*e^(-y^2)], y = -infinity .. infinity, with respect to x and then use integration by parts. I get stuck after I do that. Any ideas on what to do after that?

Let's give the integral a name, for instance F(x).

So your mentor asked you to calculate F'(x), which will yield an integral.
Can you show us what you found for F'(x)?

This will be an integral, that is supposed to be integrated by parts.
Can you do a suggestion which part to use?
And integrate it?

Well since the original integral is with respect to y and he wants me to differentiate the inside just with respect to x I would just differentiate e^2ixy which would give me 2iy*e^2ixy. Putting this all together we have... (1/sqrt(pi))*integral[2iy*(e^(2*ixy)*e^(-y^2)], y = -infinity .. infinity. as far as choosing how to separate the parts for integration by parts it seems like no matter how i separate it I still get an even more complicated answer... For ex. I choose u=e^(2ixy-y^2) and v' to be 2iy... I end up getting (1/sqrt(pi))*[(e^(2ixy-y^2)*iy^2)-integral((2ix-2y)*(iy^2)*(e^(2ixy-y^2)))dy

188818881888 said:
Well since the original integral is with respect to y and he wants me to differentiate the inside just with respect to x I would just differentiate e^2ixy which would give me 2iy*e^2ixy. Putting this all together we have... (1/sqrt(pi))*integral[2iy*(e^(2*ixy)*e^(-y^2)], y = -infinity .. infinity. as far as choosing how to separate the parts for integration by parts it seems like no matter how i separate it I still get an even more complicated answer... For ex. I choose u=e^(2ixy-y^2) and v' to be 2iy... I end up getting (1/sqrt(pi))*[(e^(2ixy-y^2)*iy^2)-integral((2ix-2y)*(iy^2)*(e^(2ixy-y^2)))dy

Could you try: v'=2y e-y2 ?

(Have a root √ and also ∫∞, and try using x2 just above the reply box. :wink:)

Last edited:

when i do that i get (1/sqrt(pi))*[-e^(2ixy-y^2) + integral((e^-(y^2))*2ix*e^(2ixy))dy].
Now what?

188818881888 said:
when i do that i get (1/sqrt(pi))*[-e^(2ixy-y^2) + integral((e^-(y^2))*2ix*e^(2ixy))dy].
Now what?

In the first part you need to substitute the limits -∞ and +∞.

The second part should look familiar. It looks a lot like the original integral F(x), except for a factor -2x, and I think you dropped an "i" somewhere.

In effect you have found the differential equation:
F'(x) = -2x F(x)

Do you know how to solve that?
The solution would yield your proof.

Cheers!

Related to Justify exp(-x^2): Integral Solution

1. What is the function exp(-x^2)?

The function exp(-x^2) is also known as the Gaussian function or the bell curve. It is a mathematical function that is commonly used in statistics and probability. It has a characteristic shape that is symmetric around the origin and decreases rapidly towards zero as the input value increases or decreases.

2. What does it mean to justify exp(-x^2)?

Justifying exp(-x^2) means to find a mathematical proof or explanation for the integral solution of this function. This involves using mathematical techniques to evaluate the integral and show how the solution was derived.

3. Why is exp(-x^2) important in science?

Exp(-x^2) is important in science because it is a fundamental function that has many applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. It is used to model natural phenomena, solve differential equations, and calculate probabilities in statistical analysis.

4. How is the integral solution of exp(-x^2) derived?

The integral solution of exp(-x^2) is derived using the technique of integration by parts. This involves breaking down the original integral into simpler integrals and using a formula to solve them. The solution involves the use of special functions such as the error function and the Gaussian integral.

5. Can the integral solution of exp(-x^2) be expressed in closed form?

Yes, the integral solution of exp(-x^2) can be expressed in closed form using special functions. The exact form of the solution depends on the limits of integration and can be calculated using numerical methods. In some cases, the solution may also involve infinite series or other mathematical techniques.