KCL Equation Issue - Understand How to Find R1 Current

• Thread starter CoolDude420
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kcl
In summary, the conversation discusses the application of nodal analysis and KCL in a circuit diagram. The main issue is understanding the signs of the voltages Vd and Vin in the KCL equation. The expert explains that in nodal analysis, all currents are assumed to flow out of the node and the author of the image was applying this assumption. Ultimately, the goal is to sum all currents to zero.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

1748e9b5ab.jpg

In an example in our notes, he applies KCL at the bolded point in the circuit diagram. I have given a part of the KCL equation up there. That's the part I don't understand. Hes finding the current flowing through R1. I don't understand where he gets -vd-vin.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
CoolDude420, the forum rules say that you need to provide some attempt at a solution. In future your posts will be deleted if there's no attempt shown. For relevant equations you could name the type of analysis method being employed (nodal analysis) and list KCL and Ohm's law with it.

KCL is being applied at the indicated node so it seems that Nodal Analysis is in progress. What are the potentials at the nodes at either end of R1? How would you employ Ohm's law to write an expression for the current flowing out of the indicated node via the R1 branch?

gneill said:
CoolDude420, the forum rules say that you need to provide some attempt at a solution. In future your posts will be deleted if there's no attempt shown. For relevant equations you could name the type of analysis method being employed (nodal analysis) and list KCL and Ohm's law with it.

KCL is being applied at the indicated node so it seems that Nodal Analysis is in progress. What are the potentials at the nodes at either end of R1? How would you employ Ohm's law to write an expression for the current flowing out of the indicated node via the R1 branch?

I mean we could say that voltage across R1 is Vr1. And then Vr1 = Vin - (-Vd). I took the node to the left of R1 and to the right of r1. And since they are both in reference to ground I subtracted them to give the voltage across R1 but that's clearly wrong.

My issue is with the signs of the vd and vin in the equation in the picture.

As per your question KCL at that node is: i1 + i3 = i2. (i3 is the current flowing in the branch with Vd).

CoolDude420 said:
As per your question KCL at that node is: i1 + i3 = i2. (i3 is the current flowing in the branch with Vd).
Ah, but that's not what I asked. I asked you to write an expression for the current in the branch using Ohm's Law. You need to use the potentials at either end of the resistor, and use them in the right order to make sure that you're assumed current direction is flowing out of the node.

upload_2016-10-31_9-41-1.png

gneill said:
Ah, but that's not what I asked. I asked you to write an expression for the current in the branch using Ohm's Law. You need to use the potentials at either end of the resistor, and use them in the right order to make sure that you're assumed current direction is flowing out of the node.

View attachment 108256

Apologies. Current in the branch with R1 is : I = Vin - (-Vd) / R1. I took the voltage at the node to the left of the resistor and subtracted it from the voltage at the node to the right of the resistor to give me the voltage drop across the resistor. However since currents flowing into the node are - and out of the node are postive. This current which is flowing into the node(assuming) would be -Vin - Vd/R1 which is what my lecture notes say

CoolDude420 said:
Apologies. Current in the branch with R1 is : I = Vin - (-Vd) / R1. I took the voltage at the node to the left of the resistor and subtracted it from the voltage at the node to the right of the resistor to give me the voltage drop across the resistor.
That's the current flowing INTO the node. You want the current flowing OUT of the node.

In nodal analysis the common procedure is to sum all currents to zero assuming that they all flow out of the node or they all flow into the node, one or the other but not both. Currents defined for other purposes (such as ##i_1## in the figure) are ignored at this point; They can always be reconciled with the directions of the node currents later. The important thing is to make the procedure of writing nodal equations automatic so that the user doesn't have to think about the directions of individual currents and fiddle about rearranging his KCL equation.

So the author of the image was applying nodal analysis assuming all currents are flowing out of the node:
upload_2016-10-31_9-57-23.png

Thus ##I_1 + I_2 + I_3 = 0##.

gneill said:
That's the current flowing INTO the node. You want the current flowing OUT of the node.

In nodal analysis the common procedure is to sum all currents to zero assuming that they all flow out of the node or they all flow into the node, one or the other but not both. Currents defined for other purposes (such as ##i_1## in the figure) are ignored at this point; They can always be reconciled with the directions of the node currents later. The important thing is to make the procedure of writing nodal equations automatic so that the user doesn't have to think about the directions of individual currents and fiddle about rearranging his KCL equation.

So the author of the image was applying nodal analysis assuming all currents are flowing out of the node:
View attachment 108257

Thus ##I_1 + I_2 + I_3 = 0##.

Ah I see. In my notes he just says "By KCL and then writes the equations." Apologies for the confusion. I think I understand now. Thank you for the help.

1. What is the KCL equation and why is it important in circuit analysis?

The KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) equation is a fundamental principle in circuit analysis that states that the sum of all currents entering a node (a point where multiple components are connected) must equal the sum of all currents leaving that node. This is important in circuit analysis because it helps us understand how current flows through a circuit and allows us to determine the values of unknown currents.

2. How do you apply the KCL equation to find the current through a specific resistor (R1) in a circuit?

To find the current through R1 using the KCL equation, we first need to identify a node in the circuit where R1 is the only component connected. Then, we can write an equation using the KCL principle where the current entering the node is equal to the current leaving the node. This will give us an equation with only unknown currents, including the current through R1, which we can solve for.

3. Can the KCL equation be applied to any circuit, regardless of complexity?

Yes, the KCL equation can be applied to any circuit, no matter how complex it may be. This is because the principle of conservation of charge still holds true in all circuits, and the KCL equation is based on this principle.

4. How does the value of R1 affect the current through it in a circuit?

The value of R1 directly affects the current through it in a circuit. According to Ohm's Law, the current through a resistor is directly proportional to its resistance. This means that as the resistance of R1 increases, the current through it will decrease, and vice versa.

5. Are there any limitations to using the KCL equation in circuit analysis?

The KCL equation is a useful tool in circuit analysis, but it does have some limitations. It assumes that the circuit is in a steady state, meaning that all components have reached a constant operating condition. It also assumes that the components in the circuit are linear, meaning their behavior can be described by simple mathematical relationships. If these assumptions are not met, the KCL equation may not accurately predict the behavior of the circuit.