Keeping a gun safe at optimal temperature and humidity

Main Question or Discussion Point

I put in the dehumidifier inside a remington thing you charge up with power up.

Would you think having a fan blowing on the outside of a locked safe would have any effect on keeping the guns dry?

Answers and Replies

Why should it?

It's a gun, not a cotton ball. Why would it attract moisture?

Why dont you put a one of those mositure sacks that come in clothes inside the safe to soak up any mositure and replace it every so often.

Get an airtight box for the gun?

I agree with Cyrus, get some silica gel packs.

russ_watters
Mentor
Would you think having a fan blowing on the outside of a locked safe would have any effect on keeping the guns dry?
If it is possible for air to penetrate the safe, having a fan blow on it will cause the air inside the safe to be closer to the humidity outside the safe. It'll negate the effect of the dehumidifier.

russ_watters
Mentor
Why dont you put a one of those mositure sacks that come in clothes inside the safe to soak up any mositure and replace it every so often.
FYI, dessicants are temperature dependent - you can drive the moisture out by putting them in the oven.

turbo
Gold Member
My house is pretty dry so I've never needed to use desiccant cannisters in my gun safe. I'm pretty good about oiling them lightly after each use, too.

If I lived someplace humid, I would definitely invest in metal desiccant cannisters that could be recharged by drying them in the oven. My problem is with my guitars and it's the opposite problem - I need to humidify the cases to keep the acoustics in top shape.