Kinematic Equation Homework Question

In summary, the problem involves finding the final velocity of a rock dropped from a 40 m tower with no air resistance. The equation used is v^2 = v0^2 + 2aΔy, where v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration due to gravity, and Δy is the displacement in the y direction. The correct answer is 28 m/s, and the negative sign in the equation is due to the downward direction of motion. Other equations, such as y = y0 + v0t + 1/2at^2, can also be used but may require more steps.
vmercadooo

Homework Statement

Gwen releases a rock at rest from the top of a 40 m tower. If g = 9.8 m/s2 and air resistance is negligible, what is the speed of the rock as it hits the ground?
v0 = initial velocity = 0
a = acceleration = 9.8
Δy = displacement in y direction = -40
v = final velocity = ?

Homework Equations

v2 = v02 + 2aΔy

The Attempt at a Solution

v2 = v02 + 2aΔy
v2 = 0 + 2 (9.8) (-40)
v2 = -784
but v2 can't be a negative number. I'm guessing either delta y is not supposed to be negative, but I thought it should be since the rock is falling, not being thrown upwards, or gravity should be negative, but I thought that when motion is downwards, the acceleration due to gravity should be positive.

Physics news on Phys.org
vmercadooo said:

Homework Statement

Gwen releases a rock at rest from the top of a 40 m tower. If g = 9.8 m/s2 and air resistance is negligible, what is the speed of the rock as it hits the ground?
v0 = initial velocity = 0
a = acceleration = 9.8
Δy = displacement in y direction = -40
v = final velocity = ?

Homework Equations

v2 = v02 + 2aΔy

v2 = v02 + 2aΔy
v2 = 0 + 2 (9.8) (-40)
v2 = -784
but v2 can't be a negative number. I'm guessing either delta y is not supposed to be negative, but I thought it should be since the rock is falling, not being thrown upwards, or gravity should be negative, but I thought that when motion is downwards, the acceleration due to gravity should be positive.

Welcome to the PF.

If you have the y-axis pointing up, so that the displacement is -40m, then be sure to use the correct sign on the acceleration due to gravity. In which direction does that acceleration point?

BTW, I would have used a different equation for this problem, but yours is probably fine. I would have used:

y = y(0) + v(0)*t + 1/2 a*t^2

Spinnor:

That's the answer I got, too, but the correct answer is simply 28 m/s. I think something must be wrong with my axes/alignment.

vmercadooo said:
Spinnor:

That's the answer I got, too, but the correct answer is simply 28 m/s. I think something must be wrong with my axes/alignment.

Make the change I suggested, and you will get the correct answer.

vmercadooo said:

v2 = v02 + 2aΔy
v2 = 0 + 2 (9.8) (-40)
v2 = -784

No. With kinematics problems, it's always best to think of vertical motion as positive in the upward direction and negative in the downward direction. Therefore, in this case, both displacement and acceleration are negative (the rock is accelerating downward, and moving in a downward direction).

berkeman said:
BTW, I would have used a different equation for this problem, but yours is probably fine. I would have used:

y = y(0) + v(0)*t + 1/2 a*t^2

Why would you use that equation? The OP isn't looking for the time. This equation would require more work, whereas the equation used by the OP gives the answer they're looking for directly.

zgozvrm said:
Why would you use that equation? The OP isn't looking for the time. This equation would require more work, whereas the equation used by the OP gives the answer they're looking for directly.

Good point. The question was asking for the final speed, so the OP equation is the better one to use. I just hardly ever used that equation, that's why I mentioned the other one.

And I would have used gravitational potential energy at the top equals kinetic energy at the ground, which is very logical.:-)

1. What are kinematic equations?

Kinematic equations are a set of mathematical equations used to describe the motion of objects in terms of their displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These equations are derived from Newton's laws of motion and are commonly used in physics and engineering.

2. What is the purpose of kinematic equations?

The purpose of kinematic equations is to help us understand and predict the motion of objects. By using these equations, we can determine an object's position, velocity, and acceleration at any given time.

3. What are the three main kinematic equations?

The three main kinematic equations are:

• Displacement equation: Δx = v0t + 1/2at2
  • Velocity equation: v = v0 + at
  • Acceleration equation: v = v0 + 2aΔx

4. How do you solve a kinematic equation problem?

To solve a kinematic equation problem, you need to identify what information is given and what information is missing. Then, you can use the appropriate equation to solve for the missing variable. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct formula for the given scenario.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving kinematic equations?

Some common mistakes when solving kinematic equations include not paying attention to units, using the wrong formula, and not properly rearranging the equation to solve for the desired variable. It is important to double-check your work and make sure all units are consistent throughout the problem.