Kinematic Particle Homework: Deriving a_r and a_theta

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of radial acceleration and its relationship to the total acceleration and second derivative of r. It is unclear what is meant by "fluxie v" and whether the question is asking for the direction of the velocity or its magnitude.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

qVDk9UG.jpg

Homework Equations

Formulas for a_r and a_theta.

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the second derative of r but I think the fluxie v is a mistake. I am sure that
[itex] \dot{v} =a\ [/itex], right?

Physics news on Phys.org
The statement of the question is rather unclear. If v is the velocity, dv/dt is a vector, but it doesn't ask about the direction. Maybe it means to ask for ##|\dot{\vec v}|##.
The given acceleration appears to be the radial component only, so is not the same as either ##|\dot{\vec v}|## (the total acceleration) or ##\ddot r##.

Yes but the radial acceleration is the total acceleration [itex]a =a _r [/itex] so it should be the same right?

Related to Kinematic Particle Homework: Deriving a_r and a_theta

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the causes of the motion.

2. What is a kinematic particle?

A kinematic particle is a point-like object that is used to represent a larger object in motion, where the size and shape of the object are not important.

3. How do you derive a_r and a_theta for a kinematic particle?

To derive a_r and a_theta, you must first determine the position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle in polar coordinates. Then, use the equations a_r = (v^2)/r and a_theta = (d^2θ)/(dt^2) to calculate the radial and tangential components of acceleration.

4. What is the difference between a_r and a_theta?

a_r represents the component of acceleration in the radial direction, while a_theta represents the component of acceleration in the tangential direction. a_r causes the particle to move closer to or further away from the origin, while a_theta causes the particle to change its direction of motion.

5. How can I apply the derived values of a_r and a_theta to real-life situations?

a_r and a_theta can be used to understand the motion of objects in circular or curved paths, such as a car turning a corner or a planet orbiting around a star. They can also be used in the design and analysis of machines and structures that involve rotational motion.