What is the Kinematics of a Particle Leaving a Ledge?

In summary, A particle is launched from a ledge at a height of 4m and lands 2m away on the ground 1.2s later. To find the original velocity, the equation V₀ = D * √(g/2H) can be used, where V₀ is the original velocity, D is the distance the particle landed, g is gravity, and H is the original height. This equation assumes horizontal projectile motion and no given angle. To find the final velocity, the equation v₂ = √(v₁² + 2ad) can be used, where v₂ is the final velocity, v₁ is the initial velocity, a is acceleration, and d is the distance traveled. The
jjones1573

Homework Statement

A particle leaves a ledge at a height of 4m and hits the ground at 1.2s later landing 2m away horizontally.

find:
The original velocity
The final velocity
The max height acheived

Homework Equations

So I know that for the original velocity:

Vo = D * SQRT(g/2H)

where:
Vo = original velocity
D = how far it landed
g = gravity
H = original height

The Attempt at a Solution

So for my initial velocity with the above equation I get:

Vo = 2 * SQRT( 9.8 / 2 * 4)

= 2.1m/s

Is this method correct?

I'm not sure how to find the final velocity before it hits the ground

Also the max height is surely the original height of 4m as its going down from here. suppose the particle jumped from its position on the ledge could I figure out a max height.

One last thing. could anybody show me how to find an acceleration vector of a projectile. I know how to get the velocity vector using arctangent but I can't find anything on acceleration vectors.

thanks so much,

Physics news on Phys.org
A particle leaves a ledge at a height of 4m and hits the ground at 1.2s later landing 2m away horizontally.

find:
The original velocity
The final velocity
The max height achieved

Well I'm presuming the particle is experiencing horizontal projectile motion.To find the original velocity I would use dx=vx+1/2a(t)2, where x are the horizontal problems given in the question, such as the particle landing 2 m away horizontally, time can be used in both x and y component equation.

The final velocity would be the velocity upon impact.. now you can use v2y2=v1y2+2ad. Because of the horizontal velocity, v1y would equal zero, simply plug in the other numbers.

You can easily find the maximum height after finding the first two parts, try it yourself :P.

The Tutor said:
Well I'm presuming the particle is experiencing horizontal projectile motion.

No, that is wrong.

jjones1573 said:
So I know that for the original velocity:

Vo = D * SQRT(g/2H)

where:
Vo = original velocity
D = how far it landed
g = gravity
H = original height

For which situation is this true? Doesn't it depend on the angle on which it is thrown?

ashishsinghal said:
For which situation is this true? Doesn't it depend on the angle on which it is thrown?

I said that because there wasn't an angle being given.

Enough information is given to find the angle

Oh I had found that equation on a thread on yahoo answers where someone had posed a similar question and that was the answer given. So how could I find the angle or is there some resource you could point me to where I could find this?

Let the velocity be u and angle be x.
ucosx.t = 2
and
1/2gt^2 - usinxt = 4

From here use t=1.2 to get usinx, ucosx.

sorry I'm kind of confused here. Do I need to find the initial velocity first in order to do this?

No, you don't. Obtain usinx and ucosx as above. Divide them to get tanx. You have got the angle in tan

Ah ok I get it thanks so much!

so to obtain initial velocity do I just find the components. when I get usinx and ucosx I divide them by sinx and cosx and then calculate the intial velocity from these x and y components

Also when calculating the max height I use Viy * t + (0.5)at^2 I use this equation when the projectiles height remains the same at the intial and final stages but in this instance should I add my initial height to the answer or do I need to do somehting else?

Last edited:

FAQ: What is the Kinematics of a Particle Leaving a Ledge?

What is kinematics of a particle?

Kinematics of a particle is a branch of physics that studies the motion of a single particle without considering the causes of its motion. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of a particle over time.

What is the difference between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's displacement over time, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. In simpler terms, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving and in what direction, while acceleration tells us how quickly the velocity is changing.

How is displacement related to position?

Displacement is the change in an object's position from its initial position to its final position, while position is the specific location of an object at a given time. In other words, displacement is the distance and direction between an object's starting point and ending point, while position is the object's location on a coordinate system.

What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities?

Scalar quantities only have a magnitude or size, such as distance or time. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as displacement or velocity. In kinematics, displacement, velocity, and acceleration are all vector quantities, while speed and time are scalar quantities.

How is acceleration related to the slope of a velocity-time graph?

The slope of a velocity-time graph represents the rate of change of velocity over time, which is acceleration. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller acceleration. The area under the curve on a velocity-time graph also represents displacement.