Kinematics problem mixing up distance and time. I'm so confused.

In summary, the question asks for the average speed and velocity for a round trip from San Antonio to Houston, with half the time at 67 km/h and the other half at 112 km/h. To find the average speed, we use the formula v = d/t and calculate the total distance for each direction, which is the same. This gives us an average speed of 89.5 km/h for the entire trip. To find the average velocity, we use the formula v = x/t and calculate the total distance and time for the entire trip, which also gives us an average velocity of 89.5 km/h.
bludragn0

Homework Statement

You drive on Interstate 10 from San Antonio to Houston, half the time at 67 km/h and the other half at 112 km/h. On the way back you travel half the distance at 67 km/h and the other half at 112 km/h. What is your average speed (a) from San Antonio to Houston, (b) from Houston back to San Antonio, and (c) for the entire trip? (d) What is your average velocity for the entire trip?

Homework Equations

x = v0t + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

For a:

67km/h (.5t) + 112 km/h (.5t) = x

.5t (67 km/h + 112 km/h) = x

(x/.5t) = 179 km/h

(.5) (x/.5t) = 179 km/h (.5)

(x/t) = 89.5 km/h

x = 89.5(t)

I want to say that the time you travel at 67 km/h and the distance you travel that for both directions is the same, but I have a nagging feeling that that isn't correct. What I know is that the distance will be the same so x in x= v0t will be the same. I'd really appreciate some help with this guys, I'm just stumped.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a, you are almost there once you have written this formula:
.5t (67 km/h + 112 km/h) = x

What you should remember is that the "v" in x = v t is the average velocity (it is only the actual velocity if the velocity remains constant over the time t you are looking at).

In your formula I quoted above, x is the total distance of the trip, and t is the total time. So if you can rewrite this formula to the form
(something) t = x​
then the "something" will be your average velocity (compare to v t = x).

1. What is the difference between distance and time in a kinematics problem?

Distance refers to the length of the path traveled by an object, while time refers to the duration of the motion. In kinematics problems, distance is usually measured in meters (m) and time is measured in seconds (s).

2. How can I avoid mixing up distance and time in kinematics problems?

One way to avoid mixing up distance and time is to always label your variables clearly and consistently. For example, use "d" for distance and "t" for time. It may also be helpful to use units when writing out your equations.

3. Can distance and time be interchangeable in kinematics equations?

No, distance and time are not interchangeable in kinematics equations. Each variable has its own specific meaning and value in the equation. Mixing them up can lead to incorrect solutions.

4. What is the importance of correctly identifying distance and time in kinematics problems?

Correctly identifying distance and time is crucial in kinematics problems because they are essential components of the equations used to calculate an object's velocity, acceleration, and displacement. Mixing them up can result in incorrect answers and a lack of understanding of the motion being analyzed.

5. Are there any tips for solving kinematics problems involving distance and time?

One helpful tip is to draw a diagram of the motion and label the known and unknown variables. This can help you visualize the problem and determine which equation to use. It is also important to pay attention to the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.