How Does Conservation of Energy Apply to Motion Down a Hill?

In summary, kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion and is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2. A hill can affect the kinetic energy of an object by changing its potential energy and velocity. The height of a hill also affects kinetic energy, with higher hills resulting in greater changes in potential and kinetic energy. Kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy on a hill, following the law of conservation of energy.
mike_302

Homework Statement

My attempt at a solution was to say:

Eki = Ekf + Eg

and my Ek 's all has 1/2 on them... other than that, my solution is essentially the same thing.
I end up with sqrt( vi2 - sg(delta)h ) = vf

What's up with this?

Attachments

• Q22 Exam 2003.pdf
    25.1 KB · Views: 192
Physics news on Phys.org
The solution in the pdf file looks good and has the same answer as in your post (except for an extra "s" which must be a typo). What exactly is the question you are asking?

I can understand your confusion with this equation. Let me break it down for you. The first part of the equation, Eki, represents the initial kinetic energy of an object. This can be calculated using the formula 1/2 * mass * velocity^2. The second part, Ekf, represents the final kinetic energy of the object at the bottom of the hill. This can also be calculated using the same formula, but with the final velocity of the object.

The third part, Eg, represents the potential energy of the object due to its position on the hill. This can be calculated using the formula mass * gravity * height. When we combine these three parts, we get the equation Eki = Ekf + Eg, which represents the conservation of energy principle. This means that the total energy of the object (kinetic energy + potential energy) remains constant throughout its motion.

Now, let's talk about the second part of your solution, where you have used the square root function. This is because the equation you have used, sqrt(vi^2 - sg(delta)h) = vf, represents the final velocity of the object at the bottom of the hill. This equation is derived from the conservation of energy principle, where we equate the initial kinetic energy to the final kinetic energy plus the potential energy gained due to the height of the hill.

In conclusion, your solution is correct and represents the conservation of energy principle in a simple and concise manner. I hope this clarifies any confusion you may have had. Keep up the good work!

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion.

2. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. How does a hill affect the kinetic energy of an object?

A hill can affect the kinetic energy of an object in two ways: by changing its potential energy and by changing its velocity. As an object moves up a hill, it gains potential energy and loses kinetic energy. As it moves down the hill, it loses potential energy and gains kinetic energy.

4. Does the height of a hill affect the kinetic energy of an object?

Yes, the height of a hill can affect the kinetic energy of an object. The higher the hill, the greater the potential energy an object gains as it moves up, and the more kinetic energy it loses as it moves down.

5. Can kinetic energy be converted into potential energy on a hill?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into potential energy on a hill. As an object moves up the hill, its kinetic energy decreases and its potential energy increases. This is known as the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only converted from one form to another.