Kinetic energy of electrons/protons

In summary, an electron will acquire 6.3 keV of KE while a proton will acquire 1.6726231 keV. The ratio of their speeds is 1/100.
thisisfudd
Hi, I'm working on the following:

An electron starting from rest acquires 6.3 keV of KE in moving from point A to point B. (a) How much KE would a proton acquire, starting from rest and moving to point A? (b) Determine the ratio of their speeds at the end of their respective trajectories.

So I understand that the proton will also have a KE of 6.3 keV because it has an equal but opposite charge to the electron (part A). But could someone give me a hint about the whole ratio of speeds part? Would I use some equation for velocity, and if so, how would I use the keV in it? Or do I use the respective masses of electrons and protons? Thx.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the relativistic equation

[tex] E = \gamma m c^2[/tex]

where m is the rest mass to find the velocities of e and p.

Think about energy conservation.

There talking about kinetic energy,
The equation for kinetic energy is

[tex] KE = \frac{1}{2} m v^2 [/tex]

using conservation of energy, how would the KE of the electron compare to the KE of the proton?

edit: This is assuming your looking at it from the "classical" sense. If not, look to the post above

There's no need for relativistic formula,the ratio is approx 1/100 for the electron and 1/180000 for the proton (if the latter has the same 6.3 KeV).

Daniel.

I'm sorry Dexter, I don't think I understand what you're saying?? The answer, according to my friend, is something like 1:43. So I am looking for the ratio of their two velocities. This is dependent on mass, correct? Thanks.

thisisfudd said:
An electron starting from rest acquires 6.3 keV of KE in moving from point A to point B.
Are we to assume that it acquires this KE by passing through an electric field? There are other ways it can acquire kinetic energy.

AM

thisisfudd said:
I'm sorry Dexter, I don't think I understand what you're saying?? The answer, according to my friend, is something like 1:43. So I am looking for the ratio of their two velocities. This is dependent on mass, correct? Thanks.

I was making the ratio:
[tex] (\frac{KE}{Rest \ mass \times c^{2}})_{electron} \sim \frac{6.3KeV}{511KeV}\sim \frac{1}{85} [/tex]

Well,i approximated (not too accurately,though) to 1/100 and called the use of relativistic energy formula a mere complication...

Daniel.

thisisfudd said:
Hi, I'm working on the following:

An electron starting from rest acquires 6.3 keV of KE in moving from point A to point B. (a) How much KE would a proton acquire, starting from rest and moving to point A? (b) Determine the ratio of their speeds at the end of their respective trajectories.

So I understand that the proton will also have a KE of 6.3 keV because it has an equal but opposite charge to the electron (part A). But could someone give me a hint about the whole ratio of speeds part? Would I use some equation for velocity, and if so, how would I use the keV in it? Or do I use the respective masses of electrons and protons? Thx.

SUMMARY OF ESTABLISHED PROBLEM ITEMS:

[tex] :(1): \ \ \ \ (ElectronKineticEnergy) = (ProtonKineticEnergy) = (6.3 keV) [/tex]

[tex] :(2): \ \ \ \ \frac { M_{electron} V^{2}_{electron} } {2} = \frac { M_{proton} V^{2}_{proton} } {2} = (6.3 keV) [/tex]

{Electron Mass} = (9.1093897e-31 kg)
{Proton Mass} = (1.6726231e-27 kg)

~~

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is a type of energy that is associated with the movement of particles, such as electrons and protons.

2. How is kinetic energy of electrons and protons different?

The kinetic energy of an electron is determined by its mass and velocity, while the kinetic energy of a proton is determined by its mass and speed. Electrons are much lighter than protons, so they can move faster and have a higher kinetic energy.

3. How is kinetic energy related to temperature?

In gases, the average kinetic energy of particles is directly proportional to the temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the kinetic energy of electrons and protons also increases.

4. Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy. For example, when an electron loses kinetic energy, it can create light or heat energy.

5. How is kinetic energy measured?

Kinetic energy is typically measured in joules (J) or electronvolts (eV). In scientific experiments, it can be measured using specialized equipment, such as spectrometers, which can measure the speed and mass of particles to calculate their kinetic energy.