Kinetic energy- pushing an object up an incline.

In summary, the object was pushed up a hill with an initial velocity of 3.0 m/s and a coefficient of kinetic friction of .93. The attempt to solve the problem resulted in an incorrect answer due to the use of incorrect units.
bopll

Homework Statement

An object is given an initial velocity of 3.0 m/s up a 20 degree incline. Mass= 22.3 kg and coefficient of kinetic friction is .93.

Homework Equations

W = (1/2)mv1^2-1/2mv0^2

W = Fdcos(u)

The Attempt at a Solution

So I added the forces together, mgsin(20) + .93mgcos(20)

and this times cos(20) should be the total work, right?

so then since the change in kinetic energy equals work i set -(1/2)mv^2= -Fdcos(20)

plugging in the mass for m, initial velocity for v, the forces due to friction and gravity for F, and solving for d, i got the wrong answer. where'd i go wrong? I also tried this taking out the cos(20) in the second work equation and still got it wrong.Thanks, this is my first time using physics forums and i really hope i can get to understand this stuff...

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the question asking for?

sorry. the distance it's pushed up the hill.

Well I say you've done it fine by adding up the two forces.
What I would have done then would be to tilt the axes 20 degrees such that it's parallel with the incline. We'll call this axis the x.

We know that the magnitude of net force acting on the x-axis is mgsin(20) + 0.93cos(20).

Therefore just use [tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = F\Delta d [/tex]

Rake-MC said:
Well I say you've done it fine by adding up the two forces.
What I would have done then would be to tilt the axes 20 degrees such that it's parallel with the incline. We'll call this axis the x.

We know that the magnitude of net force acting on the x-axis is mgsin(20) + 0.93cos(20).

Therefore just use [tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2 = F\Delta d [/tex]
that's what i did :-\

it came out to .3979 ish and that wasn't right...

ugh. my calculator was in radians.

*facepalm*

How do i mark a thread as solved?

You can just let it die away

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its stated velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy related to pushing an object up an incline?

When pushing an object up an incline, you are increasing its potential energy, which is then converted into kinetic energy as the object moves. The amount of kinetic energy will depend on the mass of the object, its velocity, and the incline of the surface.

3. What factors affect the amount of kinetic energy required to push an object up an incline?

The amount of kinetic energy required to push an object up an incline is affected by the mass of the object, the angle of incline, and the force applied to move the object. Additionally, friction and air resistance can also affect the amount of kinetic energy needed.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the amount of kinetic energy needed to push an object?

The steeper the incline, the more potential energy the object will have at the top of the incline, and therefore the more kinetic energy is needed to push it to that point. The angle of incline also affects the force needed to overcome gravity and friction, which in turn affects the amount of kinetic energy required.

5. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object. This formula can be used to calculate the amount of kinetic energy required to push an object up an incline.