1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Kinetic energy, special relativity

1. Aug 21, 2010 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Calculate the kinetic energy of an electron whose momentum is 2MeV/c.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]P=\gamma m_0 v =mv[/tex].
    [tex]E_K=(m-m_0)c^2[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm told that [tex]\gamma m_0 v=\frac{2MeV}{c}[/tex].
    If only I had the mass at rest of the electron (it isn't given in the problem), I could calculate its velocity with the first formula I gave. Then I could calculate its mass (not its rest mass, its apparent mass or whatever it's called). And then I could apply the third formula and this would solve the problem. Am I right?
    So, should I look for the electron's rest mass in some book? Is there a missing data, or can I solve the problem without this info?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2010 #2
    You can do that. But you shouldn't have to look anything up. Do you know the relationship between [tex] \lambda[/tex] (the lorentz factor) and v? if so, solve for the rest mass. Similarly, you can find the relationship between [tex] m [/tex] and [tex] m_0 [/tex]. I hope that helps!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  4. Aug 21, 2010 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I appreciate very much your help.
    What I know is [tex]\gamma =\frac{1}{\sqrt {1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex]. I don't know how to solve for the rest mass since v is unknown. I get [tex]m_0=\frac{P}{v}\sqrt {1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex] where P and c are known but not v...

5. Aug 21, 2010 #4
    ahh what was i thinking. you're right! you need to look up the rest mass. I'm really sorry, at a quick glance I thought this was just algebra.

6. Aug 22, 2010 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Ok thanks for your help. Problem solved!

7. Aug 22, 2010 #6
    great!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook