What are the forces acting on a car on a slope at an angle of θ=33.2°?

In summary, the conversation involves solving an example problem using the equation ΣFn=man. The result of the problem is θ=33.2°. The person is stuck and asks for help, and the other person suggests considering the centripetal force and its components. The first person then realizes their mistake and thanks the other for their help.
Auburn2017

Homework Statement

Please refer to both figures. The result of the example problem was θ=33.2°

Homework Equations

ΣFn=man

The Attempt at a Solution

I am stumped. I thought you could solve the forces in the z direction, straight up from the car, and set that to zero since there is no acceleration in that direction. Then maybe sum the forces in the normal direction that is perpendicular to the ground and to the left in this case. Please help!

Attachments

• 18.4.1.jpg
    18.4.1.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 344
  • 18.4.2.jpg
    18.4.2.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 328
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered the centripetal force and it's Components?

Once you draw all the forces acting on the block I suggest to scompose the forces on the perpendicular and parallel directions to the plane

Likes Auburn2017
I figure it out. I had I a sign wrong and that was throwing me off. Thanks for your help though.

Likes physics user1

1. What is the definition of "kinetics of particles"?

The kinetics of particles refers to the study of the motion of particles and the factors that influence their movement, such as forces, energy, and interactions with other particles.

2. What are the different types of forces involved in the kinetics of particles?

There are four types of forces involved in the kinetics of particles: gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. These forces can act on particles to cause changes in their motion.

3. How is Newton's second law of motion applied in the kinetics of particles?

Newton's second law of motion, which states that force equals mass times acceleration, is applied in the kinetics of particles to calculate the resulting motion of a particle when a force is applied to it.

4. What is the role of energy in the kinetics of particles?

Energy is a crucial factor in the kinetics of particles as it is required to change the state of motion of a particle. Kinetic energy is associated with the motion of a particle, while potential energy is associated with the position of a particle in a force field.

5. How do collisions between particles affect their kinetic energy?

Collisions between particles can result in changes in their kinetic energy. In elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy of the particles remains constant, while in inelastic collisions, some of the kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.