Kirchhoff's second law having exams soon,

In summary, the equations for calculating power and dissipating heat in a circuit are P = IV and I^{2}R. Kirchhoff's second law states that the total power delivered by a circuit is equal to the sum of the power delivered by each component multiplied by the resistance of that component. In this case, the resistance of the circuit is the sum of the two resistances. The current in the circuit is I1, and the power delivered is 39W.
Kushal
kirchhoff's second law...having exams soon, please help

Homework Statement

i got this circuit, in the attachment below. i was asked to find:
(1) I1 and I2
(2) the voltmeter reading (the voltmeter has one terminal connected at the point between the 2 ohm resistor and the 12V battery, say point X, and the other terminal at the point between the 1 ohm resistor and the 3V battery, say point Y)
(3) the power delivered by the 12 V cell
(4) total power dissipated as heat by the circuit

then, comment on the discrepancy between your answers (3) and (4)

i solved parts (1) to (4)...but I'm not sure of the answers. and i don't understand what the last part asks for? what discrepancy??

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's second law
P = IV

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) for the loop ABEFA

(sum)E = (sum)IR

i got the equation:
10I1 + 8I2 = 12

for loop CBEDC

same method, and i got:

8I1 + 9I2 = 3

now i solved simultaneously
I1 = 3.23 A and I2 = -2.54 A

now, for I2, should i keep the minus sign?? and why i got the minus...i think it has something to do with the position of the two batteries...i took the 12V battery as reference, and hence got the 3V battery in the opposite direction.

(2) i calculated the potential at X and at Y.

both Vx and Vy should be zero since the negative terminals are always at a potential of zero.

therefore pd = 0

(3) i used the equation P = IV

i used I1 as the current.

giving me = approx. 39W

(4) power dissipated = I^{2}R

= [(I1)^{2}*2] + [(I1 + I2)^{2}*8] + [(I2)^{2}*1] = approx. 31W

i can't find any discrepancy, maybe coz I'm too stupid for that??!

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 342
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
now, for I2, should i keep the minus sign?? and why i got the minus...i think it has something to do with the position of the two batteries...i took the 12V battery as reference, and hence got the 3V battery in the opposite direction.
A minus sign for I2 means the current would be opposite the direction drawn, which means power goes 'into' the 3V battery, rather than out.

3 * -2.54 ~ 7.6 W, which is about the discrepancy one is finding between 39 W from 12 V battery and 31 W dissipated by resistances.

it means that the 12V is supplying about 39W and the circuit is losing 31W of it as heat??
so only about 8W is useful??

am i right?? and smething else...is anyone having enough time to chck the other answers...coz i;m not so sure about them...

thank you and thnks astronuc

What is Kirchhoff's second law?

Kirchhoff's second law, also known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop in an electrical circuit is equal to zero.

Why is Kirchhoff's second law important?

Kirchhoff's second law is important because it allows us to understand and analyze complex electrical circuits by determining the voltages at different points in the circuit.

How is Kirchhoff's second law applied in exams?

In exams, Kirchhoff's second law is often applied to solve circuit analysis problems by setting up equations based on the law and using algebraic manipulation to find the unknown voltages.

What are some common mistakes made when applying Kirchhoff's second law in exams?

Common mistakes when applying Kirchhoff's second law in exams include forgetting to consider the direction of voltage drops, assuming that all currents in a loop are in the same direction, and using incorrect signs for the voltages.

How can I prepare for an exam involving Kirchhoff's second law?

To prepare for an exam involving Kirchhoff's second law, it is important to understand the basic concepts and principles behind the law, practice solving various types of circuit analysis problems, and review any common mistakes to avoid. It may also be helpful to work through practice exams and seek help from a tutor or instructor if needed.