Solving a Complex Kirchoff's Law Problem - Mike's Request for Help

In summary, Mike is seeking help with a circuit problem involving Kirchoff's laws. He has provided the circuit and problem in a jpeg format and has attempted to solve it using loop analysis. After receiving input and guidance, he has corrected his approach and arrived at the correct solution.
physicsfun_12

Homework Statement

Hello there, hope you are well.

I am having trouble solving this problem involving Kirchoff's laws.

I have attached a copy of the circuit and problem to this post in jpeg format.

Thanks again in advance for any help.

Mike

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I merged to the two 20 ohms into one 10ohm and said that the total voltage in any loop equals zero.

so 60=20Ia + 10Ib

and 20=20Ib + 10Ia

I have tried solving this many times and keep getting a negative current for Ib. My original equation must be wrong.

Thanks a lot for any help or input,

Mike

Attachments

• Kirchhoff's Laws_question.jpg
    Kirchhoff's Laws_question.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 396
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mike! :smile:
physicsfun_12 said:
… 60=20Ia + 10Ib

and 20=20Ib + 10Ia

Which loop has Ia, and which has Ib, and in which direction? :confused:

And what about Ic ?

(and where do those 20s on the RHS come from?)

I think I've got it now.

I was using loop analysis so that's why there is only two currents.

The 20s came from 60=10Ia + 10(Ia+Ib) which expands to give 20Ia + 10Ib

You can work out the currents using simultaneous equations, giving a Ia=3.333A and Ib=-0.6666A

I of the load resistor, Il=Ia+Ib = 2.6667A

So Vl=2.6667*10 = 26.667V

Does this look about right? Thanks a lot for your help

Mike

Last edited:
physicsfun_12 said:
The 20s came from 60=10Ia + 10(Ia+Ib) which expands to give 20Ia + 10Ib

ohhh! you should always state an intermediate step like that :rolleyes:

(apart from anything else, you stand a good chance of making a mistake with ±s if you don't write this stuff out clearly)

Yes, the answer looks ok now. :smile:

Sorry about that, you are absolutely right... that's most probably why I was getting it wrong in the first place!

Thanks for your help and take care,

Mike

1. What is Kirchoff's Law and why is it important in solving complex problems?

Kirchoff's Laws are fundamental principles in circuit analysis that help to determine the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit. They are important because they provide a systematic approach to solving complex electrical circuits and can be used to verify the accuracy of calculations.

2. What are the two main Kirchoff's Laws and how are they used in solving problems?

The two main Kirchoff's Laws are the Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) and Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL). KCL states that the sum of currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must equal zero. KVL states that the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage sources in the same loop. These laws are used to set up equations and solve for unknown values in a circuit.

3. How do I approach solving a complex Kirchoff's Law problem?

The first step is to draw a circuit diagram and label all known values and unknown variables. Then, apply KCL and KVL to set up equations based on the circuit components. Finally, solve the equations simultaneously to find the values of the unknown variables.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a Kirchoff's Law problem?

Some common mistakes include not properly applying the Kirchoff's Laws, incorrect labeling of circuit components, and not considering the direction of current and voltage when setting up equations. It is also important to double-check calculations and ensure units are consistent throughout the problem.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving complex Kirchoff's Law problems?

Practice and familiarity with the Kirchoff's Laws are key to solving complex problems. It can also be helpful to break the problem down into smaller parts and solve them one at a time. Additionally, using a systematic approach and organizing equations can make the problem easier to solve.