What is the voltage across vc(0)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the voltage across vc(0) in a electrical circuit diagram. The solution is determined to be 10V through Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, but the other individual is unsure how this value was obtained. After using nodal analysis, it is confirmed that the voltage is indeed 10V. The conversation also mentions that there are no currents in vc and there is a short circuit between the nodes near vc, leading to a voltage of 0.
jofree87
What is the voltage across vc(0) in the diagram below?

The solution says its 10V but I don't know how they got that.

Through KVL, I got 0V.

Since all the current flows through the left most circuit, iA = 10/1000 = .01A

3k and 1k(right) resistors have no current.

-10 + 1000iA + vc = 0

vc = 0?

Am I doing something wrong here?

Edit: After applying nodal analysis, I got 10V, so I must be applying KVL wrong then?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.4 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, you can see why in another way, there are no corrents in vc and there is a short circuit beetween the nodes near vc, i.e. voltage=0, so vc must be zero

1. What is Kirchoff's Voltage Law?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law, also known as KVL, is a fundamental law in electrical circuit analysis that states that the sum of all voltages in a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero. It is based on the principle of conservation of energy and is used to determine the voltage drops across different components in a circuit.

2. What are the applications of Kirchoff's Voltage Law?

KVL is used in the analysis and design of electrical circuits, such as in the calculation of voltage drops in power supply systems, circuit debugging, and circuit simulation. It is also used in the design of electronic devices, such as amplifiers and filters.

3. How is Kirchoff's Voltage Law different from Kirchoff's Current Law?

Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL) states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node in a circuit must equal zero, while KVL deals with the sum of voltages in a closed loop. In other words, KVL is used to analyze series circuits, while KCL is used for parallel circuits.

4. Can Kirchoff's Voltage Law be applied to AC circuits?

Yes, KVL can be applied to both DC and AC circuits, as long as the circuit is closed and there are no time-varying magnetic fields present. However, the analysis of AC circuits may involve complex numbers and phasors to represent the voltages and currents.

5. How is Kirchoff's Voltage Law used in circuit analysis?

KVL is used to write and solve equations for the voltages in a circuit. The first step is to label the voltages in the circuit and choose a direction for the loop. Then, using KVL, a sum of the voltages in the loop is set equal to zero, and the resulting equation is solved for the unknown voltage.