Kronecker Delta & Levi Civita manipulation

In summary: These are basic mistakes I am making and I am quite sure I have no natural talent for this subject but I still love it.
MichaelAlexDavM
Homework Statement
I know what I need to do but I am stuck on one of the steps
Relevant Equations
Levi-civita and Kronecker delta identities
εikl εjmngkmMkn =

εikl εjknMkn = (in book it changed sign to -εikl εjknMkn - Why? )

By identity
εikl εnjkMln = inδkj - δijδkn)Mkn = ?

I then get ..

Mji - δij Mnn ( is this correct ?)

There 's more to the question but if can get this part right, I should be able to complete the rest.

Attachments

• Homework help.JPG
    Homework help.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 378
Physics news on Phys.org
MichaelAlexDavM said:
Homework Statement:: I know what I need to do but I am stuck on one of the steps
Relevant Equations:: Levi-civita and Kronecker delta identities

εikl εjmngkmMkn =

εikl εjknMkn = (in book it changed sign to -εikl εjknMkn - Why? )
Oops I had not read carefully. What you wrote as the first expression can't be right! Note that you have three indices "k", which is incorrect. Check what the correct answer is.

Last edited:
Likes MichaelAlexDavM
nrqed said:
This is a bit confusing because normally using the metric should raise or lower the indices, but here all your indices are downstairs, so I am not sure what the convention is, here. Yes, those steps are correct.

Thanks very much, I have just finished that part of the question and it worked out. I was not confident of what I was doing but I am now.

The fact that there were only lower indices confused me too, I vaguely remember my lecturer saying because its Minkowski space, contravariant and covariant are the same, might have heard that wrong though.

MichaelAlexDavM said:
Thanks very much, I have just finished that part of the question and it worked out. I was not confident of what I was doing but I am now.

The fact that there were only lower indices confused me too, I vaguely remember my lecturer saying because its Minkowski space, contravariant and covariant are the same, might have heard that wrong though.
AH ok. But the very first expression you wrote was incorrect, right? It had three times the index "k".

OP,

Go back and look at your expressions carefully, from the beginning, you've made errors in copying from the problem.

MichaelAlexDavM said:
I vaguely remember my lecturer saying because its Minkowski space, contravariant and covariant are the same, might have heard that wrong though.
I'd guess you misheard. They're not the same in general.

What convention is your lecturer using for the Minkowski metric? Is it diag##(-,+,+,+)## or diag##(+,-,-,-)## ?

strangerep said:
I'd guess you misheard. They're not the same in general.

What convention is your lecturer using for the Minkowski metric? Is it diag##(-,+,+,+)## or diag##(+,-,-,-)## ?
Now I see that the contravariant and covariant metric tensor are not the same. x0 = x0 and xa = - xa with the (+,-,-,-) metric we used. The same lecturer also teaches classical mechanics and it was during this class, when I think he said there is no difference between the contravariant and covariant indices. He may have mentioned flat space and I took this to mean (without thinking about it enough) Minkowski space.
These are basic mistakes I am making and I am quite sure I have no natural talent for this subject but I still love it.
Thanks for your knowledge, now I understand a little more.

Minkowski space is flat, so he probably didn't say flat space, I would bet that he said Euclidean space.

Likes MichaelAlexDavM

1. What is the Kronecker Delta?

The Kronecker Delta, denoted by δ, is a mathematical function that takes two indices and returns 1 if they are equal and 0 if they are not equal. It is commonly used in linear algebra and calculus to represent the identity matrix and to define the dot product of two vectors.

2. What is the Levi Civita symbol?

The Levi Civita symbol, denoted by ε, is a mathematical symbol used in vector calculus and differential geometry to represent the orientation of a coordinate system. It takes three indices and returns 1, -1, or 0 depending on the order of the indices.

3. How are the Kronecker Delta and Levi Civita symbol related?

The Kronecker Delta and Levi Civita symbol are related through a manipulation known as the "Kronecker Delta and Levi Civita manipulation." This manipulation involves taking the product of the Kronecker Delta and the Levi Civita symbol and then summing over one of the indices. It is commonly used in vector calculus to simplify calculations involving cross products and determinants.

4. What is the significance of the Kronecker Delta and Levi Civita manipulation?

The Kronecker Delta and Levi Civita manipulation allows for the simplification of complicated mathematical expressions involving cross products and determinants. It also helps to establish relationships between different mathematical concepts, such as the dot product and cross product.

5. How is the Kronecker Delta and Levi Civita manipulation used in physics?

The Kronecker Delta and Levi Civita manipulation is commonly used in physics to simplify calculations involving vector operations, such as calculating torque and angular momentum. It is also used in the study of electromagnetism to manipulate Maxwell's equations and in the theory of relativity to express the metric tensor in terms of the Levi Civita symbol.