Solving a Physics Problem: Ladder Facing a Wall

• I
  • Thread starter jasonpeng
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving a ladder leaning against a wall. The problem requires finding the friction force needed to prevent the ladder from falling down. The participants discuss using torque and a free body diagram to solve the problem, and question the role of friction and the normal force in keeping the ladder in place. They also consider the effect of a leaning wall on the ladder's rotation and translation. Ultimately, the conversation focuses on determining the necessary friction force at the foot of the ladder to achieve static equilibrium.
Going back to the original problem (not sliding), since it is not moving or accelerating, the sum of the vertical forces = zero, and sum of horizontal forces = 0. How much vertical force does the wall provide on the ladder? How much vertical force does the ground provide on the ladder?

Your father is correct, in this: the coefficient of static friction does not play a role in determining the amount of force, only if there is enough friction available to provide that force.

Physics news on Phys.org
Agreeing with Scott, it seems good to solve the original static problem. Chester's diagram on the first page sums it up (although for the way I think about it, I'd add a horizontal force at the foot of the ladder, exerted by the ground, which is what's asked for in the original question).

Last edited:
In order to find the horizontal components of force: summing the moments about a point is the way to go.

PaulK2 said:
Agreeing with Scott, it seems good to solve the original static problem. Chester's diagram on the first page sums it up (although for the way I think about it, I'd add a horizontal force at the foot of the ladder, exerted by the ground, which is what's asked for in the original question).
We are going to solve both problems (with and without friction) and then compare the results. The OP is particularly interested in how things change when the frictional force (or externally imposed horizontal force at the base of the ladder) is removed.

Likes PaulK2
Isn't this just a statics problem? Sum of forces and sum of moments must be zero if the ladder is resting on a wall and not moving.

Sum of forces (=zero)can allow the relation between the normal force exerted by the wall to the frictional force exerted by the ground(equal to the product of coefficient of static friction and weight).

Sum of moments (about the point on the ladder touching the ground;equals zero)can then allow you to relate the "wall" normal force to the weight of the ladder.

These two combined can give you an expression that relates the coefficient of friction to a geometric expression.

...I think. This is my first post here so I come before you as humble learner. I just read the problem and didn't think it was asking about a dynamic system (especially if OP is in the 10th grade and without calculus).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 338
alvino said:
Isn't this just a statics problem? Sum of forces and sum of moments must be zero if the ladder is resting on a wall and not moving.

Sum of forces (=zero)can allow the relation between the normal force exerted by the wall to the frictional force exerted by the ground(equal to the product of coefficient of static friction and weight).

Sum of moments (about the point on the ladder touching the ground;equals zero)can then allow you to relate the "wall" normal force to the weight of the ladder.

These two combined can give you an expression that relates the coefficient of friction to a geometric expression.

...I think. This is my first post here so I come before you as humble learner. I just read the problem and didn't think it was asking about a dynamic system (especially if OP is in the 10th grade and without calculus).
If you check back through the posts, you will see that the OP became intrigued by the dynamic frictionless problem and it's comparison with the static problem. I have tried to accommodate him as much as I can, given his limited mathematical background. This has not been easy.