Lagrange Identity Sum Notation

In summary, the conversation discusses the interpretation of the last sum in Lagrange's identity, which is a double sum of squared differences between pairs of elements. The notation is explained and a helpful visualization is provided.
cloud18
Hi, how do I interpret the last sum:
http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/LagrangesIdentity.html

Sum (...)
1<=k < j <= n

Is it the double sum:

Sum( Sum( (a_k*b_j - a_j*b_k)^2 from k = 1 to n) from j = 2 to n ) ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your notation it would be:

Sum( Sum( (a_k*b_j - a_j*b_k)^2 from k = 1 to j-1) from j = 2 to n )

as it's a sum of pairs (k,j) from {1,...,n}x{1,...,n} where k is strictly less than j.

If you arrange the pairs of {1,...,n}x{1,...,n} in an nxn grid with k indexing the rows and j the columns like so:

(1,1), (1,2), (1,3),...
(2,1), (2,2), (2,3),...

your sum is over the terms above the main diagonal, e.g. for n=3 it's the bold terms:

(1,1), (1,2), (1,3)
(2,1), (2,2), (2,3)
(3,1), (3,2), (3,3)

I like to think of it as the sum over all vectors (k,i) where k and i can take any value btw 1 and n, BUT we consider only case vectors for which k<i.

Thanks, I see what the notation means, and your way of visualizing the index pairs of the terms being summed was very helpful too, as I never thought to think about it like that.

What is Lagrange Identity Sum Notation?

Lagrange Identity Sum Notation, also known as the Lagrange-Bürmann identity, is a mathematical notation used to represent the sum of a sequence of numbers. It is named after mathematicians Joseph-Louis Lagrange and Johann Peter Bürmann.

How is Lagrange Identity Sum Notation written?

The notation is written as Σk=ab f(k), where k is the index variable, a is the lower limit of the sum, b is the upper limit of the sum, and f(k) is the function being summed.

What is the purpose of Lagrange Identity Sum Notation?

The purpose of this notation is to simplify and compactly represent long sums of numbers, making them easier to work with and manipulate in mathematical equations.

Can Lagrange Identity Sum Notation be used for infinite series?

Yes, Lagrange Identity Sum Notation can also be used for infinite series by setting the upper limit b to infinity (∞). This notation is particularly useful for representing and working with convergent and divergent series.

Are there any other notations similar to Lagrange Identity Sum Notation?

Yes, there are other notations that serve a similar purpose, such as sigma notation (∑) and product notation (∏). These notations are commonly used in mathematics and can be interchanged depending on the context and preference of the user.