1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lagrangian and its derivatives

1. Dec 7, 2013 #1
    Question 1

When I take the derivatives of the Lagrangian, specifically of the form:

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{ \partial q}[/itex]

I often find myself saying this:

[itex]\frac{\partial \dot{q}}{ \partial q}=0[/itex]

But why is it true? And is it always true?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2013 #2
    [STRIKE]Question 2[/STRIKE] Answer Below

When solving a double pendulum problem I built a Lagrangian of the form:

[itex]L(\theta_1, \theta_2, \dot{\theta_1}, \dot{\theta_2})[/itex]

And found that my Euler Lagrangian equations for each coordinate where coupled to each other, as expected.

But I was a little confused about the direction of motion...

Does

[itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial q_\alpha} = \frac{d}{d t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_\alpha}}[/itex]

Describe a motion only in the

[itex]\hat{q_\alpha}[/itex]

Direction? Even if the Euler Lagrangian is coupled?

Answer

According to Taylor's text, Classical Mechanics, yes. The [itex]\hat{q_\alpha}[/itex] direction is the only one an Euler Lagrangian equation specifies. But, a true understanding of the motion in that direction comes from:

[itex]- \frac{\partial U}{\partial q_\alpha} = \frac{d}{d t} \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q_\alpha}} - \frac{\partial T}{\partial q_\alpha}[/itex]

Which is used to build:

[itex]\vec{F}=-\nabla U[/itex]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  4. Dec 7, 2013 #3
    Many a student has been confused by this. The short answer is that the Euler-Lagrange equation is derived from a variational principle using the technique of variations, and ##q## and ##\dot q## are merely labels for the arguments of the Lagrangian.

Consider that you have a function ##F(x, y)##. At some ##(x_0, y_0)## its value is ##z_0##. Now you want to find out its value close to that point. Using the Taylor expansion, you get ##F(x_0 + \delta x, y_0 + \delta y) = z_0 + {\partial F \over \partial x} \delta x + {\partial F \over \partial y} \delta y ##. Now if you had ##x = f(t) ## and ##y = \dot f(t) ##, you would still use the expression above, where ##x## and ##y## are assumed independent. This is exactly what happens when you derive the Euler-Lagrange equation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted