1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Landau/Lifshitz problem, comment on the result?

1. Oct 2, 2011 #1
    So I was debating whether or not to post this in the homework session but I feel the question I'm asking belongs here.

I just worked out a problem for my Classical Mechanics Assignment and while I arrived at the solution I am wonder what 'comment' can be made about the result.

It is from L/L Mechanics, page 12 problem 4.

It asks you to find the Lagrangian for a system that looks like the picture attached that is rotating at a constant angular velocity Omega around the fixed vertical axis.

The Lagrangian comes out to be:

[tex] L = m_{1}a^{2}(\dot{\theta}^{2} + \sin^{2}(\theta)\Omega^{2}) + 2m_{2}a^{2}\sin^{2}(\theta)\dot{\theta}^{2} + 2(m_{1} + m_{2})gacos(\theta) [/tex]

I guess my real question is HOW can you recognize how the system will behave just by looking at the Lagrangian. I realize I could solve the Euler-Lagrange equations and solve for the equation of motion in terms of theta but that isn't what this is asking. I feel like there should be some intuitive description of the system just by looking at the Lagrangian.

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted