How to Solve a Laplace Transform Problem for y'' + 4y = 8

• Thread starter pakmingki2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplace
In summary, partial fraction decomposition can be used to solve for the laplace transform of a equation with a variable y.
pakmingki2

Homework Statement

find solution using laplace transforms

y'' + 4y = 8

alright, so i did the laplace transform of both sides and i get

(s^2 + 4)L(y) - 11s - 5 = 8/s

so i isolate L(y) and i get this expression:

L(y) = (11s^2 + 5s + 8)/(s*(s^2 + 4))

however, the textbook says the answer is:

L(y) = 2/s + (9s + 5)/(s^2 + 4)

And i don't know how to get from my expression to the book's.
I'm pretty good at doing inverse laplace transforms, its just that i can't seem to do the algebra right.

CAn someone help me see how to get to the right expression for L(y)?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Use partial fraction decomposition:

Start off by setting

[tex] \frac{11s^2 + 5s + 8}{s(s^2 + 4)} = \frac{A}{s}+\frac{ Bs + C}{s^2 + 4}[/tex]

multiply through by the common demoninator [tex]s(s^2 + 4)[/tex] and plug-in 3 different values of [itex]s[/itex] to generate 3 equations involving [tex]A,B, \mbox{ and }C[/tex]. Nice values of [itex]s[/itex] here include [itex]s=0[/itex] (this will give the value of [tex]A[/tex]), and either [itex]s=\pm 1[/itex] (which gives 2 equations in [tex]A\mbox{ and }B[/tex]) or [itex]s=2i[/itex] (which gives the values of [tex]A\mbox{ and }B[/tex] by equating real and imaginary parts). Enjoy :).

Dear Moderator: I know this post goes beyond what we by rule give in guidance in solving a problem, yet I offer this apology: I could not quickly find a web page that gave instructions for the above easy method of partial fraction decomposition to my satisfaction: hence my post.

well don't worry i found out a way anyways.

so i got:

L(y) = 8/s(s^2 + 4) + (11s + 5)/(s^2 + 4)

i won't type it all out cause it's annoying, but what i did was i partial fraction decomposed 8/s(s^2 + 4) and i expanded all the terms and equated coeficcients cause i hate dealing with complex numbers when using partial fractions. So i find the values of A B C and combine all the terms in it comes out to the expression i was looking for.

What is a Laplace transform problem?

A Laplace transform problem is a mathematical problem that involves transforming a function from the time domain to the frequency domain using the Laplace transform. This allows for easier analysis and solution of differential equations.

What is the purpose of using Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms are used to simplify and solve differential equations. They can also be used to analyze systems and understand their behavior in the frequency domain.

How do you solve a Laplace transform problem?

To solve a Laplace transform problem, you first need to apply the Laplace transform to the given function. This will transform the function from the time domain to the frequency domain. Then, using properties of Laplace transforms and inverse Laplace transforms, you can simplify the problem and solve for the unknown variable.

What are the limitations of Laplace transforms?

Laplace transforms can only be applied to functions that are piecewise continuous and have exponential order. They also cannot be used to solve differential equations with variable coefficients or initial conditions.

How are Laplace transforms used in real-world applications?

Laplace transforms have many real-world applications, especially in engineering and physics. They are used to analyze and design control systems, solve electrical circuits, and understand the behavior of mechanical and fluid systems. They are also used in signal processing, telecommunications, and image processing.