What is the Fourier series for a constant temperature in a box?

In summary: But without more information or a specific function for f(x,y), it is not possible to determine a specific expression for f(x,y).
josftx
Hello i have a problem with a laplace equation in a box, because the problem says that in the six face the tempeture is constant and given by the function f(x,y). and the other faces the temperature its zero.

My teacher says that i must express the f(x,y) as a Fourier series, but i can't understand why i must do that.

Homework Statement

[tex]$\dfrac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial x^{2}}+\dfrac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial y^{2}}+\dfrac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial z^{2}}$[/tex]

[tex]$T T(0,x,z)=T(L,x,z)=T(x,0,z)=T(x,L,z)=T(x,y,0)=0$[/tex]
[tex]$T T(x,y,L)=F(x,y)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The given after this

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution , that i can fint its

[tex]$T T(x,y,z)={\displaystyle \sum_{m,n=1}^{\infty}A_{mn}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})sin\left(\frac{m\pi y}{L}\right)sinh\left(\pi\sqrt{\frac{n^{2}+m^{2}}{L^{2}}}z\right)}$[/tex]

and with the last boundary conditions

[tex]$F F(x,y)={\displaystyle \sum_{m,n=1}^{\infty}A_{mn}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})sin\left(\frac{m\pi y}{L}\right)sinh\left(\pi\sqrt{\frac{n^{2}+m^{2}}{L^{2}}}L\right)}$[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
josftx said:
Hello i have a problem with a laplace equation in a box, because the problem says that in the six face the tempeture is constant and given by the function f(x,y). and the other faces the temperature its zero.

My teacher says that i must express the f(x,y) as a Fourier series, but i can't understand why i must do that.

Homework Statement

[tex]$\dfrac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial x^{2}}+\dfrac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial y^{2}}+\dfrac{\partial^{2}T}{\partial z^{2}}$[/tex]

[tex]$T T(0,x,z)=T(L,x,z)=T(x,0,z)=T(x,L,z)=T(x,y,0)=0$[/tex]
[tex]$T T(x,y,L)=F(x,y)[/tex]

Homework Equations

The given after this

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution , that i can fint its

[tex]$T T(x,y,z)={\displaystyle \sum_{m,n=1}^{\infty}A_{mn}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})sin\left(\frac{m\pi y}{L}\right)sinh\left(\pi\sqrt{\frac{n^{2}+m^{2}}{L^{2}}}z\right)}$[/tex]

and with the last boundary conditions

[tex]$F F(x,y)={\displaystyle \sum_{m,n=1}^{\infty}A_{mn}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})sin\left(\frac{m\pi y}{L}\right)sinh\left(\pi\sqrt{\frac{n^{2}+m^{2}}{L^{2}}}z\right)}$[/tex]

I think you mean (evaluate at z=L)

[tex]$F F(x,y)={\displaystyle \sum_{m,n=1}^{\infty}A_{mn}sin(\frac{n\pi x}{L})sin\left(\frac{m\pi y}{L}\right)sinh\left(\pi\sqrt{\frac{n^{2}+m^{2}}{L^{2}}}L\right)}$[/tex]

In order to complete the solution, you will need to determine the [tex]A_{mn}[/tex] in terms of [tex]F(x,y)[/tex]. If you think about it, you can accomplish this by taking the Fourier transform of both sides of this equation. If [tex]F(x,y)[/tex] is already expressed as a Fourier series, most of the work is already done for you.

Yes, sorry i evaluate z in L in my last step. But i need determinate [tex]$A A_{mn}$[/tex] in terms of [tex]$F F(x,y)$[/tex]. But i didn't finish the problem because i don't understand the reason of my teacher for that solution. and i don't know how complete the solution with that thougth.

can u help me?

Last edited:
Well verify that

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \sin(m u) \sin(n u) du = \delta_{mn}.[/tex]

Then compute

[tex] \int_0^{ L} dx \int_0^{L} dy~ F(x,y) \sin\left(\frac{n'\pi x}{L}\right) \sin\left(\frac{m'\pi y}{L}\right)[/tex]

to derive an expression for the [tex]A_{mn}[/tex] in terms of the above integrals of [tex]F(x,y)[/tex] (these integrals are the coefficients of the Fourier series for F).

Last edited:
and how i can derive an expresión for find the function, using some equality?
i'm really confused-

josftx said:
and how i can derive an expresión for find the function, using some equality?
i'm really confused-

Is F(x,y) specified in the problem? If not, the most you can do is derive the expression for the [tex]A_{mn}[/tex] in terms of those integrals of F.

It's not specified in the problem, only the problem says that the temperature is maintained constant in the face six and this given by [tex]$T T(x,y,L)=f(x,y)$[/tex] , and my teacher says that i must find that function =S

josftx said:
It's not specified in the problem, only the problem says that the temperature is maintained constant in the face six and this given by [tex]$T T(x,y,L)=f(x,y)$[/tex] , and my teacher says that i must find that function =S

If the temperature is constant, then [tex]f(x,y) = f_0[/tex] and you can compute the [tex]A_{mn}[/tex] by solving [tex]
\int_0^{ L} dx \int_0^{L} dy~f_0 \sin\left(\frac{n'\pi x}{L}\right) \sin\left(\frac{m'\pi y}{L}\right) = \int_0^{ L} dx \int_0^{L} dy~T(x,y,L) \sin\left(\frac{n'\pi x}{L}\right) \sin\left(\frac{m'\pi y}{L}\right).
[/tex]

1. What is Laplace's Equation in a Box?

Laplace's Equation in a Box is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of a scalar field (such as temperature or electric potential) within a confined space.

2. What does "in a box" mean in the context of Laplace's Equation?

In this context, "in a box" means that the scalar field being studied is confined to a specific region or boundary. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of the behavior within that region.

3. How is Laplace's Equation in a Box different from the general Laplace's Equation?

Laplace's Equation in a Box is a special case of the general Laplace's Equation, where the boundary conditions are specified as being constant values along the edges of the box. This allows for the equation to be solved more easily and for specific solutions to be obtained.

4. What are some real-world applications of Laplace's Equation in a Box?

Laplace's Equation in a Box has many practical applications, such as in the study of heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrostatics. It is also used in various fields of engineering and physics to model and analyze different systems and phenomena.

5. What are the limitations of Laplace's Equation in a Box?

Laplace's Equation in a Box is limited to situations where the scalar field being studied is confined to a specific region or boundary. It also assumes that the boundary conditions are constant values, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it cannot account for time-dependent or nonlinear behavior of the scalar field.