Laptop hard drive turning on and off

In summary: I've had CD rom drives do this, but if your hard drive was doing it, your computer should have already crashed, so I'd be shocked if it was actually the hard drive....
Hercuflea
I've got a Lenovo y510p laptop, and I can hear the hard drive spinning up and spinning back down about once every 30 seconds to once every 2 minutes while I'm using the laptop normally. It's starting to drive me crazy and it's distracting. I'm wondering if this is affecting the lifetime of my drive? I thought it might be the "Lenovo Energy Management" software, so I tried turning off the "Hard Disk Power Saver" in that option but it makes no difference. Any idea why this is happening and if it's harming my hard drive? (or if it is even the drive in the first place?)

Computer science news on Phys.org
Is it the hard drive or the fan? As an example, you do something that requires some cpu power and the fan turns on to keep the cup cooler.

I don't think it's the fan. The fan maintains a pretty constant level when I'm not doing anything intensive. But when I'm just surfing the web or reading pdfs I can hear a distinct high pitched, but soft sound which to me sounds like the hard drive spinning up and down. And sometimes, if I click on something in firefox right as it's happening, the computer will lag for a second.

Usually when you suspect a hard drive it's good to seriously backup everything like right now.

Good point, I'll do a backup overnight tonight. It's been doing this for quite a while. Not sure if it's normal or if it's meant to do it, but better safe than sorry.

I would try running a process manager and see what is running in the background. If Windows, you can also type msconfig.exe in the Run box. Something is probably scheduling itself to run without you wanting it to.

OTOH, there could be issues with the drive itself; if it isn't large enough, it could be fragmented, or nearly full. Or if you open a gazillion programs at once, the OS could be paging back and forth from memory to disk to accomdate all the programs simultaneously trying to occupy memory.

If you'll post the particulars of your system--hardware, mem size, OS, age, and what you typically run--we could get a better idea of what is going on.

Likes davenn and Greg Bernhardt
You should also check the time delay for your disk drive to power down after no use. It's in the Power Options of windows, in the Advanced setting for Windows 8.1. It can usually have a different setting for when you are running on batteries, i.e. a laptop/tablet, or AC power.

If your hard drive is starting and stopping a lot, you maybe should increase the time a bit so it can stay on longer and cycle on and off less. This does increase the power draw when on batteries but probably is less stressful to the hard drive and you if the off time is pretty short.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
I've had CD rom drives do this, but if your hard drive was doing it, your computer should have already crashed, so I'd be shocked if it was actually the hard drive.

Hercuflea said:
... But when I'm just surfing the web or reading pdfs I can hear a distinct high pitched, but soft sound which to me sounds like the hard drive spinning up and down. And sometimes, if I click on something in firefox right as it's happening, the computer will lag for a second.

If the problem only occurs when you're connected to the internet , it could be some program trying to download an update , and failing repeatedly, (caught in a loop).
The offending program may be unwanted crapware running in the background , which could be uninstalled.

Go to Control Panel →Power Options→Edit Plan Settings→Change Advanced Power Settings. Look at Hard disk→Turn off hard disk after. Choose "Never" and see if there is any difference.

What causes a laptop hard drive to turn on and off repeatedly?

There are several potential causes for a laptop hard drive to turn on and off repeatedly. This can include a faulty power supply, overheating, a failing hard drive, or software issues. It is best to troubleshoot the issue by checking for any error messages, running a diagnostic test, and ensuring the laptop is properly ventilated.

How can I fix a laptop hard drive that keeps turning on and off?

The solution to fixing a laptop hard drive that keeps turning on and off will depend on the underlying cause. If it is due to a software issue, you may need to reinstall the operating system or update your drivers. If it is due to a failing hard drive, you may need to replace it. It is recommended to seek professional help if you are unsure of the cause or how to fix it.

Is it normal for a laptop hard drive to turn on and off periodically?

No, it is not normal for a laptop hard drive to turn on and off periodically. If your hard drive is constantly turning on and off without any apparent reason, it could be a sign of a potential issue that needs to be addressed. It is best to investigate the cause and address it before it leads to further problems.

Can a virus cause a laptop hard drive to turn on and off?

Yes, a virus can cause a laptop hard drive to turn on and off. Viruses can cause various issues with a computer's hardware and software, including causing a hard drive to turn on and off repeatedly. It is important to have a reliable antivirus program installed and updated regularly to protect against viruses.

How can I prevent my laptop hard drive from turning on and off unexpectedly?

To prevent your laptop hard drive from turning on and off unexpectedly, it is important to regularly back up your files, keep your laptop and its components clean, and avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures. Additionally, make sure to properly shut down your laptop and avoid abruptly disconnecting it from power to prevent potential damage to the hard drive.