Solve Latent Heat of Fusion Homework Problem

• Thread starter stephenranger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fusion Heat
In summary: L bottle of water (5 °C) from a refrigerator, and pour it into a glass.You need to cool your drink down to 1 °C by adding ice cubes of 0 °C. The mass of each ice cube is 10g.The heat of fusion of water is 333 kJ/kg, and the specific heat of water is 4.19 kJ?(kg.°C).
stephenranger

Homework Statement

You take a 0.5 L bottle of water (5 °C) from a refrigerator, and pour it into a glass. Find the mass of ice at 0 °C needed to cool your drink down to 1 °C ? the heat of fusion of water is 333 kJ/kg, and the specific heat of water is 4.19 kJ?(kg.°C).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a very easy problem. But somehow my solution is different from the solution in my textbook. Therefore I would like you to point out what is my misunderstanding here.

My solution:

Heat that water lost is: Qlost = mwater.cwater.(5°C - 1°C) = 0.5x4.19x(5-1) = 8.38 kJ.

Heat that ice gained to change from 0 °C ice to 0 °C water is : Qgained=mice.Lf = mice. 333

Heat that 0°C water gained to rise its temperature to 1°C is: mice.cwater.(1°C - 0 °C) = mice.4.19

So the total heat that ice gained to rise from 0°C ice to 1°C water is: Qgained=333mice+4.19mice=337.19mice

Because Qgained=Qlost, so 337.19mice=8.38 → mice=8.38/337.19=0.024852...≈0.025 kg.

Textbook solution:

Q = m.Lf=m.c.Δt,
in which Lf is heat of fusion of the transition from ice to water is 333kJ/kg, and c is the specific heat of water, 4.19 kJ/(kg.°C).

mice = Q/Lf = mwater c Δt /Lf = 8.38/333 = 0.02512651...≈0.025kg.

We see that textbook solution does not include the heat that 0°C water gained to rise its temperature to 1°C. Why is that? I believe that whatever temperature is, as long as it's above zero, things need to gain some certain amount of heat to rise its temperature from zero °C to that temperature.

Physics news on Phys.org
stephenranger said:

Homework Statement

You take a 0.5 L bottle of water (5 °C) from a refrigerator, and pour it into a glass. Find the mass of ice at 0 °C needed to cool your drink down to 1 °C ? the heat of fusion of water is 333 kJ/kg, and the specific heat of water is 4.19 kJ?(kg.°C).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a very easy problem. But somehow my solution is different from the solution in my textbook. Therefore I would like you to point out what is my misunderstanding here.

My solution:

Heat that water lost is: Qlost = mwater.cwater.(5°C - 1°C) = 0.5x4.19x(5-1) = 8.38 kJ.

Heat that ice gained to change from 0 °C ice to 0 °C water is : Qgained=mice.Lf = mice. 333

Heat that 0°C water gained to rise its temperature to 1°C is: mice.cwater.(1°C - 0 °C) = mice.4.19

So the total heat that ice gained to rise from 0°C ice to 1°C water is: Qgained=333mice+4.19mice=337.19mice

Because Qgained=Qlost, so 337.19mice=8.38 → mice=8.38/337.19=0.024852...≈0.025 kg.

Textbook solution:

Q = m.Lf=m.c.Δt,
in which Lf is heat of fusion of the transition from ice to water is 333kJ/kg, and c is the specific heat of water, 4.19 kJ/(kg.°C).

mice = Q/Lf = mwater c Δt /Lf = 8.38/333 = 0.02512651...≈0.025kg.

We see that textbook solution does not include the heat that 0°C water gained to rise its temperature to 1°C. Why is that? I believe that whatever temperature is, as long as it's above zero, things need to gain some certain amount of heat to rise its temperature from zero °C to that temperature.

I don't know why the textbook does not include that, but you're right. The heat needed for the water to go from 0 °C to 1 °C should be included. The only reason the two answers are the same is because the heat required to increase the temperature of the water is negligible as compared to the heat required to melt the ice.

Likes Chestermiller
If this is their mistake, then it is not a joke because the above problem is taken from a university entrance exam. I'm convinced that I misunderstood something about the problem, rather than a mistake of the exam.

The textbook's answer is wrong. It shouldn't be 8.38/333 it should be 8.38/337.19 like you said.

People make mistakes, even exam creators.

Maybe they were thinking that the glass is dipped into an ice/water bath.

Chestermiller said:
Maybe they were thinking that the glass is dipped into an ice/water bath.

Yes sir actually I'm not sure about that. Let me write the full problem here because actually I adjusted it a little bit as the main problem to solve still comes down to calculating the mass of ice.

You take a 0.5 L bottle of water (5 °C) from a refrigerator, and pour it into a glass. How many ice cubes, 0 °C, do you need to cool your drink down to 1 °C, if the mass of each ice cube is 10g ? the heat of fusion of water is 333 kJ/kg, and the specific heat of water is 4.19 kJ?(kg.°C).

stephenranger said:
Yes sir actually I'm not sure about that. Let me write the full problem here because actually I adjusted it a little bit as the main problem to solve still comes down to calculating the mass of ice.

You take a 0.5 L bottle of water (5 °C) from a refrigerator, and pour it into a glass. How many ice cubes, 0 °C, do you need to cool your drink down to 1 °C, if the mass of each ice cube is 10g ? the heat of fusion of water is 333 kJ/kg, and the specific heat of water is 4.19 kJ?(kg.°C).
Well that pretty well locks it in: you were correct and they were not correct.

Chestermiller said:
Well that pretty well locks it in: you were correct and they were not correct.

Excellenté sir. Thanks

What is latent heat of fusion?

Latent heat of fusion is the amount of heat energy required to change a substance from solid to liquid state at its melting point, without changing its temperature.

How do you calculate latent heat of fusion?

Latent heat of fusion can be calculated by dividing the amount of heat energy transferred by the mass of the substance.

Why is latent heat of fusion important?

Latent heat of fusion is important because it is a key aspect in understanding phase changes of matter. It is also used in various industries, such as refrigeration and freezing processes, as well as in weather forecasting.

What factors affect latent heat of fusion?

The factors that affect latent heat of fusion include the type of substance, the amount of heat energy applied, and the atmospheric pressure.

How is latent heat of fusion different from latent heat of vaporization?

Latent heat of fusion is the amount of heat energy required to change a substance from solid to liquid state, while latent heat of vaporization is the amount of heat energy required to change a substance from liquid to gas state. Both involve phase changes, but with different physical states.