Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Latex:How to adjust the vertical space between question,part,subquestion in exam.cls?

1. Aug 11, 2010 #1
    I am currently producing an exam paper. My friend suggests me using the exam document class. It's quite convenient most the time and I almost finish my work. But there are 2 things that I am not satisfied with:

(1)the default spacing between questions, parts, subquestions

How can I adjust the vertical spacing between questions, parts, subquestions?

(2)the \pointsdroppedatright function

I use the following 3 lines of commands to place the marks at the rightmargin of the textwhen a "\droppoints" is placed.

\pointsdroppedatright
    \pointpoints{mark}{marks}
    \marginpointname{ \points}

But actually I want the " (7 marks) " go to the rightmost of the text text range but not outside it and in the margin.
    e.g.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?
    _______________________space______________________(7 marks)

How can I do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2010 #2
    Re: Latex:How to adjust the vertical space between question,part,subquestion in exam.

Hi there,

I have never used the exam.cls in LaTeX, so I cannot help you there.

But I can try to give some ideas that you might not have tried yet.

For your first problem, the vertical spacing in LaTeX can be done with the \vspace or \addvspace commands. You can use a negative value in this, if you want the spacing to be less than default.

Something like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

\vspace{-10cm}

yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

For your second problem, I don't know the \pointsdroppedatright, but from the example your are giving, you might want to try something like this:

\hbox to 6cm{\leaders\hrule\hfil}

which gives a bottom line of 6cm long.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook