Law of conservation of energy and springs.

In summary, the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed between different forms. This applies to springs because when a spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy which is then converted into kinetic energy. The equation for the potential energy of a spring is U = 1/2 kx^2, where U is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring. The mass of an object does not affect the potential energy of a spring, as long as the displacement and spring constant are the same. Finally, the law of conservation of energy cannot be violated as it is a fundamental principle in physics that has been proven to hold true in
firezap

Homework Statement

see the 2 image attachments.

Homework Equations

law of conservation of energy
Fs = -kx
Eg = mgh
Ek = 1/2mv^2
Es = 1/2kx^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i have no idea.

Attachments

• initial.jpg
    initial.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 334
  • weekly 151.jpg
    weekly 151.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 373
Physics news on Phys.org
How about energy conservation as the mass oscillates back & forth?

i found this answer online. can i trust this solution or is it wrong?

Attachments

• weekly solution.jpg
    weekly solution.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 480
firezap said:
i found this answer online. can i trust this solution or is it wrong?

I'm sorry, I can't read it.

But it's a simple problem if you keep total (potential plus kinetic) energy constant as the mass oscillates.

I can provide some clarification and explanation on the topic of the law of conservation of energy and springs. The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transformed from one form to another. In the case of a spring, when it is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy in the form of elastic potential energy. This energy is then released as kinetic energy when the spring returns to its original shape.

The equation Fs = -kx represents Hooke's Law, where Fs is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. This equation shows that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement from its equilibrium position.

When discussing the potential energy of a spring, we use the equation Es = 1/2kx^2, where Es is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. This equation shows that the potential energy of a spring is directly proportional to the square of its displacement.

In the case of a spring being dropped or released from a certain height, we can also consider the potential energy due to gravity, Eg = mgh, where Eg is the gravitational potential energy, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object. This potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as the spring falls, which can be calculated using the equation Ek = 1/2mv^2, where Ek is the kinetic energy and v is the velocity of the object.

In summary, the law of conservation of energy applies to the system of a spring, where the potential energy stored in the spring is converted into kinetic energy and vice versa. This can be seen through the equations and the relationship between the various forms of energy. I hope this helps in your understanding of the topic.

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed from one form to another.

How does the law of conservation of energy apply to springs?

The law of conservation of energy applies to springs because when a spring is compressed or stretched, it stores potential energy. This potential energy is then converted into kinetic energy when the spring returns to its original state.

What is the equation for the potential energy of a spring?

The equation for the potential energy of a spring is U = 1/2 kx^2, where U is the potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position.

How does the mass of an object affect the potential energy of a spring?

The potential energy of a spring is directly proportional to the square of the displacement and the spring constant, but it is not affected by the mass of the object. This means that a heavier object will not have more potential energy than a lighter object, as long as they have the same displacement and are connected to the same spring.

Can the law of conservation of energy be violated?

No, the law of conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics and has been proven to hold true in all physical interactions. While energy can be transferred or transformed, it cannot be created or destroyed, thus making the law of conservation of energy unbreakable.