Law of conservation of momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of wind force on a person during a Chicago storm, with a comparison to the maximum force of friction on the person. The question of what comes to rest is also raised, with the conclusion that it is the air. The transfer of force during impulse is also briefly mentioned. The solution to the problem is provided and confirmed to be correct, with a force of 8.3 x 10^2N calculated.
FarazAli
I can't seem to figure out what the damn question is asking :D. Can anyone explain what the question is asking?

During a chicago storm, winds can whip horizontaly at speeds of 100 km/h. If the air strikes a person at the rate of 40kg/s per square meter and is brought to rest, calculate the force of the wind on a person. Assume the person's area to be 1.50m high and 0.50m wide. Compare to the typical maximum force of friction (μ = 1.0) between the person and the ground, if the person has a mass of 70kg.

What comes to rest here? is it the air or the person?

Also on a side note, can anyone explain whether the transfer of force during impulse instantaneous or not?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
FarazAli said:
If the air strikes a person at the rate of 40kg/s per square meter and is brought to rest, calculate the force of the wind on a person.

What comes to rest here? is it the air or the person?
The air is. Consider the person standing still. The rate of change in momentum of the air is equal and opposite to the force on the person.

Ok this is how I solved the problem. I doubt it's right.

I see that the force is in units of [tex]kg/sm^2[/tex] and I have an area in square meters, so I multiplied the two of them to get this
[tex](\frac{40 kg}{m^2s})(1.0m)(0.5m) = 30 \frac{kg}{s}[/tex]

I plugged that into [tex]\Delta{p} = F\Delta{t} = (\frac{m\Delta{v}}{\Delta{t}} \times \Delta{t}) = m\Delta{v}[/tex] and got [tex]\frac{30kg}{s} \times \frac{27.8m}{s} = 8.3\times10^2N[/tex]

looks good to me. :-D

That's correct. In 1 second 30 kg of air having a speed of 27.8 m/s comes to rest.
So the change in momentum (which equals the force) is [itex]30 \cdot 27.8 = 8.3 \cdot 10^2N[/itex]

Last edited:

What is the Law of conservation of momentum?

The Law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time. This means that the total amount of momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total amount of momentum after the collision or interaction.

How is momentum defined?

Momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

Why is the Law of conservation of momentum important?

The Law of conservation of momentum is important because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects in a closed system. It is also a fundamental principle in physics that is applicable to a wide range of phenomena, from collisions between particles to the motion of celestial bodies.

Does the Law of conservation of momentum apply to both elastic and inelastic collisions?

Yes, the Law of conservation of momentum applies to both elastic and inelastic collisions. In elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy is conserved, while in inelastic collisions, some kinetic energy is converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. However, in both cases, the total momentum of the system remains constant.

What are some real-world examples of the Law of conservation of momentum?

Some real-world examples of the Law of conservation of momentum include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, a car crash, and a rocket launching into space. In each of these scenarios, the total momentum of the system remains constant, even though individual objects may change direction or speed.