Law of Cosines Homework problem

In summary, the first law of cosines can be proven in non-Euclidean geometry by assuming that T is contained in D and using the coordinates of the vertices of the hyperbolic triangle.
Turloughmack
My course: Non- Euclidean Geometry

I have been asked to prove the first law of cosines

cosh(c) = cosh(a).cosh(b) - sinh(a).sinh(b).cos(gamma)

I am told initially to proceed as follows:

Explain why I may assume that T is contained in D (The hyperbolic disk) and also why
V(c) = 0, V(a) = tanh(b/2) and V(b) = e^(i)(gamma)tanh(a/2)

Here V(a), V(b) and V(c) are all vertexes of the hyperbolic triangle with angles alpha, beta and gamma.

I didnt know how to draw the picture here. Anyway could anybody help me on this part of the problem

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming that T is contained in D (The hyperbolic disk) is reasonable since the hyperbolic disk is a space of constant negative curvature, and the First Law of Cosines applies when the space is curved. The coordinates V(c) = 0, V(a) = tanh(b/2) and V(b) = e^(i)(gamma)tanh(a/2) can be easily derived from the definitions of alpha, beta and gamma. Specifically, V(c) is the origin (0,0) since it is the vertex of angle gamma, V(a) is the point tanh(b/2) along the x-axis and V(b) is the point e^(i)(gamma)tanh(a/2) along the circle centered at the origin with a radius equal to tanh(a/2).

What is the Law of Cosines?

The Law of Cosines is a mathematical formula used to find the side lengths or angles of a triangle when given certain information. It is an extension of the Pythagorean Theorem and is used for solving non-right triangles.

When is the Law of Cosines used?

The Law of Cosines is used when solving triangles that do not have a right angle. It is particularly useful for solving real-world problems involving distances and angles, such as navigation and surveying.

What is the formula for the Law of Cosines?

The formula for the Law of Cosines is c² = a² + b² - 2abcos(C), where c is the length of the side opposite the angle C, and a and b are the lengths of the other two sides.

How do I use the Law of Cosines to solve a triangle?

To use the Law of Cosines, you will need to know the values of at least three of the triangle's sides or angles. Then, you can plug these values into the formula and solve for the missing side or angle.

What are some common mistakes when using the Law of Cosines?

Some common mistakes when using the Law of Cosines include using the wrong formula, using the wrong units for the angles (degrees instead of radians), and forgetting to take the square root when solving for a side length.