Law of Sines problems that involve a perpendicular

In summary, the homework equations state that SinA/a = SinB/b = SinC/c. However, for the first problem, the calculator gives a different result than what was given in the book. The answer given in the book is 534.24', while the calculator gives 534.24' - 360.83', resulting in a difference of 345.43'. For the second problem, the calculator gives the same answer as what was given in the book, 490.75'. However, after correcting for my function error, I get the same figure as what you do, 345.43'.
KYPOWERLIFTER
Could someone point me in the correct direction? I have no problem working out the angles and lines, but when one has to take into account the perpendicular, then I get confused. It is clear that the relationships are altered, but I am missing something? I have made worked further in the problem set but these two have me a bit mixed up. These are from a website, and as I have related I am trying to re-learn old math habits. Not a "homework" question, per se.

Homework Statement

AB is a line 652 feet long on one bank of a stream, and C is a point on the opposite bank. A = 53° 18', and B = 48° 36'. Find the width of the stream from C to AB.

In a triangle ABC, a = 700 feet, B = 73° 48', and C = 37° 21'. If M is the middle point of BC find the length of AM, and the angles BAM and MAC.

Homework Equations

SinA/a = SinB/b = SinC/c

The Attempt at a Solution

sin 53.3 (652)/sin 78.1 = a, the calculator claims 534.24'
then, cos 48.6 (534.24') = c, calculator reads 353.30' WRONG!

For the second one I worked to this point:

b = sin 73.8 (700')/sin 68.85 = 720.76', then sin 37.35 (720.76) = AM. . .I saw this wasn't correct. . .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the first problem, I agree that a = 534.24', but I disagree with your final value for the width of the stream. The relationship is sin(48.6 deg) = w/534.24, so w = 534.24 * sin(48.6 deg) = 400.74' (approx).

For the second problem, after you have found b, you know MC and angle C, so you can use the law of cosines to find AM.

Eureka!

As for the second problem, I now get 490.75'. The answer given is 490.83'. I am thinking that is rounding difference. On the first problem, I have no idea why I used cos instead of sine. . . looking at too many problems, I suppose. However, the given answer is 345.43'. After I correct for my function error, I get the same figure that you do.

I don't see how they get 345.43' for the first problem. I worked it again and got 400.74' again. It's possible that the book's answer is wrong. I don't automatically assume that when my answer is different from the book's answer, but answers in books are wrong from time to time.

Related to Law of Sines problems that involve a perpendicular

1. What is the Law of Sines?

The Law of Sines is a mathematical principle that relates the sides and angles of a triangle. It states that the ratio between the length of a side and the sine of its opposite angle is constant for all sides and angles in a given triangle.

2. How is the Law of Sines used in problems involving perpendicular lines?

The Law of Sines can be used to solve for missing sides and angles in a triangle, including those involving perpendicular lines. By setting up a proportion between the known side and its opposite angle, and the unknown side and its opposite angle, the value of the unknown side can be solved for using the Law of Sines.

3. What is the significance of a perpendicular line in a Law of Sines problem?

In a triangle, a perpendicular line forms a right angle with one of the sides. This allows the use of the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of the perpendicular line, which can then be used in conjunction with the Law of Sines to solve for other missing parts of the triangle.

4. Can the Law of Sines be used to solve all triangles?

No, the Law of Sines can only be used to solve triangles that have enough information to set up a proportion. This means that at least one side and its opposite angle must be known. If there is not enough information, other methods such as the Law of Cosines may need to be used.

5. Are there any special cases or exceptions to the Law of Sines in perpendicular problems?

Yes, if the perpendicular line falls on the hypotenuse of a right triangle, the Law of Sines cannot be used to solve for the length of the perpendicular line. Instead, other methods such as trigonometric identities may need to be used.