When should I use cosine or sine for sum of forces in the y or x direction?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of cosine and sine when calculating the sum of forces in the y and x directions. The person is struggling to understand when to use each and is looking for visual examples. The solution to the problem uses cos25 instead of their initial reaction to use sin25. The other person recommends thinking about the physics and keeping in mind that cosine is bigger for smaller angles, while the reverse is true for sine. They also suggest using cosine for y and sine for x in this specific problem.
eseefreak
I attached an image of the problem I am currently working on. I am having a hard time understanding when to use cosine or sine when referring to the sum of the forces in the y direction or x direction. I have a general understanding as to where you initially place your coordinate system. If you take a look at the solution you will see that the sum of the forces in the y direction uses cos25, instead of my initial reaction to use sin25.

If anyone can help with visual examples of different situations that would be amazing. I understand doing that would be a lot of work so any advice is also much appreciated.

Thank you so much! :smile:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 353
Physics news on Phys.org
One way to quickly check if you made the right choice is to think about the physics, while keeping in mind that, for angles less than 90°, the cosine is bigger for smaller angles, and the reverse is true for the sine.

In the problem you have, think what happens if you reduce the angle of the ramp: the blocks will slide less, and the downward force due to the mass must increase. Therefore, for y you use the cosine of the angle, and sine for x.

Thank you for the help!

1. What are the three laws of motion?

The three laws of motion were first described by Sir Isaac Newton in 1687 and are as follows:
1. An object will remain at rest or in constant motion unless acted upon by an external force.
2. The force applied to an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration.
3. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

2. How do the laws of motion apply to real-world situations?

The laws of motion can be applied to explain the motion of objects in the real world. For example, the first law explains why objects stay still or continue moving at a constant speed unless a force is applied. The second law helps us understand how much force is needed to accelerate an object, and the third law explains the equal and opposite reaction that occurs in any interaction between two objects.

3. Can the laws of motion be broken?

No, the laws of motion are fundamental principles of physics and have been extensively tested and proven to hold true in all situations. However, there may be some rare cases where it may seem like the laws are being broken, but these are usually due to other factors at play that are not immediately apparent.

4. How do the laws of motion relate to other scientific concepts?

The laws of motion are closely related to other concepts in physics, such as force, mass, and acceleration. They also play a crucial role in other areas of science, such as engineering, mechanics, and astronomy, as they provide a fundamental understanding of how objects move and interact with each other.

5. Can the laws of motion be applied to very large or very small objects?

Yes, the laws of motion can be applied to objects of any size. However, at extremely small scales, such as the atomic level, there may be other factors at play that can affect the behavior of objects. Additionally, at very high speeds or in extreme gravitational fields, the laws may need to be modified to accurately describe the motion of objects.