Calculating Force Needed to Move 4.8 kg Block Against Wall

In summary, a block of mass 4.8 kg is pushed up against a wall by a force F that makes 37 angle with the horizontal. The coefficients of static and kinetic friction are 0.2 and 0.1 respectively. The magnitude of the force F in N that makes the block just about to slip down is 63.2.
mooneh
a block of mass 4.8 kg is pushed up against a wall by a force F that makes 37 angle with the horizontal. the coefficients of static and kinetic friction are 0.2 and 0.1 respectively. the magnitude of the force F in N that makes the block just about to slip down:

wut i did is:
F sin 37-0.1+mg=0
Fcos37=n

but i didnt get the answer right which is 63.2 !

Physics news on Phys.org
mooneh said:
F sin 37-0.1+mg=0
Redo this correctly: The sum of forces in the vertical direction must add to zero.
Fcos37=n
Good.

Is the given angle above or below the horizontal?

i think its above horizontal
but even when i add them up the answer is wrong
and by solving Fcos37=n the answer of F is wrong too !

Please redo your first equation. (Until you fix the first equation, don't expect to be able to solve for F correctly.)

What are the vertical forces? Which way do they act?

the first equation Fsin37+0.1+mg=0
the vertical forces acts upward because its abt to slip down
right ?

Doc Al, I notice mooneh is using "0.1", the coefficient of kinetic friction, in his equations. Since the mass is "just about to slip down" but not moving, shouldn't that be coefficient of static friction?

mooneh said:
the first equation Fsin37+0.1+mg=0
the vertical forces acts upward because its abt to slip down
right ?
Gravity acts upward? What's 0.1 supposed to represent? What's the friction force? (Is it static or kinetic?)

HallsofIvy said:
Doc Al, I notice mooneh is using "0.1", the coefficient of kinetic friction, in his equations. Since the mass is "just about to slip down" but not moving, shouldn't that be coefficient of static friction?
Yep. But that's not the only problem. :wink:

here is wut i did:
Fsin37+0.2-mg=0
Fcos 37 =n
F ( cos37+sin37) = 93.88
F = 67

Well you fixed one thing, broke another, and are missing a big thing in both cases >_>

There are three forces acting on it, friction, the guy pushing, and gravity. Gravity and friction are both trying to pull it down, the guy pushing is trying to push it up. Since they're in the same direction, gravity and friction need to be both negative or both positive, and then the guy pushing should be the opposite

As of your previous post you have...actually I'm looking at your work and maybe you did it more right than it seemed

You typed Fsin(37)+.2-mg=0, and I'm looking at the .2, .2 by itself is not the force of friction, you must multiply by the normal force. But then you found the normal force and used it but I don't know where the .2 went or the 93.88 came from. You have the right idea though

Remember, force of friction = coefficient * normal force

Fgrav+Ffr-F*sin37=0, or F*sin37-Fgrav-Ffr=0, whichever

Last edited:
mooneh said:
here is wut i did:
Fsin37+0.2-mg=0
0.2 is just the coefficient of static friction; the friction force is [itex]f_s \leq \mu N[/itex]. Since we assume the block is just about to slip, the friction force must have its maximum value (in terms of the normal force).

Fsin37-0.2n-n=0
Fsin37= 1.2(Fcos37)
?

mooneh said:
Fsin37-0.2n-n=0
Which way does the friction force act? What happened to the weight?

blochwave said Fgrav+Ffr-F*sin37=0, or F*sin37-Fgrav-Ffr=0
thats why i changed my answer and put negative signs to both Ffr and weight
weight=mg=n

mooneh said:
blochwave said Fgrav+Ffr-F*sin37=0, or F*sin37-Fgrav-Ffr=0
thats why i changed my answer and put negative signs to both Ffr and weight
But since the block is just about to slide down, friction acts up while gravity acts down; they have different signs.
weight=mg=n
Weight = mg, but does not equal the normal force!

The above is just the equation for vertical forces. Combine this (after you fix it) with your equation for the horizontal forces (from your first post).

Fcos37=n
Fsin37+ 0.2n - mg=0

5 Fsin37 + n -235.2 = 0
Fcos 37 - n =0

F(5sin37+cos37)=235.2
F=61.7

Looks good to me! :approve:

but the correct answer is 63.2 !
never mind close enough :)
lool u must hate me now
thx alooooooooot
ur the best

1. How do you calculate the force needed to move a 4.8 kg block against a wall?

To calculate the force needed to move a 4.8 kg block against a wall, you will need to use the formula F = ma, where F is the force in Newtons, m is the mass in kilograms, and a is the acceleration in meters per second squared. In this case, the mass is 4.8 kg and the acceleration is equal to the weight of the block divided by the force of friction between the block and the wall.

2. What is the weight of a 4.8 kg block?

The weight of a 4.8 kg block is equal to its mass multiplied by the gravitational acceleration, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared. Therefore, the weight of the block is approximately 47.04 Newtons.

3. How do you determine the force of friction between the block and the wall?

The force of friction can be determined by using the formula Ff = μN, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force is equal to the weight of the block, and the coefficient of friction depends on the materials in contact. To calculate the force of friction between the block and the wall, you will need to know the coefficient of friction between those two surfaces.

4. What is the coefficient of friction between a block and a wall?

The coefficient of friction between a block and a wall can vary depending on the materials in contact. For example, the coefficient of friction between wood and brick is different from that between metal and metal. It is important to look up the specific coefficient of friction for the materials in question before calculating the force of friction.

5. How does the force needed to move a block against a wall change if the mass of the block is increased?

If the mass of the block is increased, the force needed to move it against a wall will also increase. This is because the weight of the block, and therefore the normal force and force of friction, will increase. This will require a greater force to overcome the force of friction and move the block against the wall.