Calculate Capacitor for 2 KHz Series-Tuned LC Circuit

In summary, the conversation is about finding the correct size capacitor to install in a series-tuned LC circuit with a resonant frequency of 2 KHz and a 2 mH inductor. The person asking the question is seeking help with the formula and format for solving the problem, and is directed to post their question in a specific forum section for homework help. The importance of clearly explaining the question and showing work is emphasized, and the conversation ends with the person thanking for the help and the moderator moving a related question to its own thread.
cissey
What size capacitor would you install in a series-tuned LC circuit with a resonant frequency of 2 KHz the circuit will include a 2 mH inductor?
This is my question and here is what I got. Just want to know if it is right.
2.52 i do not know how to put the formula in here.
can anyone show me the corret way to do this problem?

Please

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF (physicsforums)! If you haven't had a chance to look around, you will find a lot of fascinating and useful discussions here. If you have something puzzling you, there are quite a few knowledgeable people here, who can point you in a successful direction.

Are you building this circuit for a home project? Is this a question from school?
If this is a homework question, there is a different forum section to post your question. Don't worry, we can easily move this to the proper place if it is a homework question.

It is a good idea to show how you arrive at a number, even if you don't know how to encode it in a pretty format.
for example the area of a circle may be typed A= pi *r^2 .. When you become more familiar with formula coding (we can show you where to see examples), you can make it look like this: [itex] A = \pi r^2 [/itex]
If you were solving for "r", you could type r=squareroot[A/pi] or sqrt[A/pi]. Or you could even point to a webpage that shows the formula you are attempting to use (if there are more than one on that page, explain which one). e.g. for Area of circle, i used the formula for area on this page --> http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/files/circle/area.html

What formula did you use to find C ?

Last edited:
This is a home work question. I used the LC formula. If i knew how to scan it and put it on this thread I would. i am taking baby steps here:)

Okay on baby steps :smile: I did the same when I first joined the forum.

Here is the https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=153" to post your question.. You will want to read through the first few "stickies" topics, to understand how to post a homework question. Take a look at the "best homework threads" to see the format we use. Don't worry, it doesn't need to be as elaborate as the posts in the "best homework threads". But that is a good direction to aim for.
So explaining your question clearly, is important. Also showing what you understand about it is equally important. (writing steps how you tried to solve question. If you cannot do that, explain the concepts of your problem, as best as you understand).
I am happy to help you, but you need to show your work.

Also there are all levels of questions here. All questions are good questions. (I hope you won't feel intimidated by the other posts).

Last edited by a moderator:
Your numerical answer for Capacitance is incorrect. I am happy to help you find the correct answer, if you show or explain what you have done so far..

I solved the lc circuit problem.
Thanks for all the help

Last edited:

Related to Calculate Capacitor for 2 KHz Series-Tuned LC Circuit

1. How do I calculate the capacitance needed for a 2 KHz series-tuned LC circuit?

To calculate the capacitance, you will need to use the formula C = 1 / (2πfL), where C is the capacitance in farads, π is approximately 3.14, f is the frequency in hertz, and L is the inductance in henries. So for a 2 KHz (2000 Hz) circuit with an inductance of 1 henry, the capacitance would be C = 1 / (2 x 3.14 x 2000 x 1) = 7.96 x 10^-5 farads, or approximately 79.6 microfarads.

2. What is the purpose of a series-tuned LC circuit?

The purpose of a series-tuned LC circuit is to create a specific resonant frequency. This is useful in filters, oscillators, and other electronic circuits where a specific frequency is required.

3. Can I use any capacitance value for a 2 KHz series-tuned LC circuit?

No, the capacitance value needs to be carefully calculated to achieve the desired resonant frequency. Using the wrong capacitance value can result in a circuit that does not function as intended.

4. How does the inductance affect the capacitance needed for a 2 KHz series-tuned LC circuit?

The inductance and capacitance in a series-tuned LC circuit are inversely proportional. This means that as the inductance increases, the capacitance needed decreases, and vice versa.

5. What happens if I use a higher frequency for a 2 KHz series-tuned LC circuit?

If the frequency is higher than the resonant frequency of the circuit, the circuit will no longer function as a filter or oscillator. Instead, it will behave like a short circuit, causing the current to flow through the circuit without any resistance.