Learn advanced basics of statistics?

In summary, to prepare for a job interview in statistical analysis and optimization, we recommend studying introductory statistics and probability, followed by more specialized topics and utilizing online resources such as textbooks, courses, and websites.
Gerenuk
Learn "advanced basics" of statistics?

I'm a physicist and would like to prepare for a job interview where the job is to do statistical analysis and optimization of models for medical data or so. The firm does consulting for pharmaceutical companies.

Anyway, I know the very basics of statistics, of course. Can anyone recommend some online information (or book) which I could study to sound more clever at the job interview? :)
It should cover important concepts in a concise way.

I couldn't find another forum to post this to. The Lessons one seems locked. Suggestions welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
To learn the "advanced basics" of statistics, we recommend starting with an introduction to probability theory and statistics. This will give you a good overview of basic statistical concepts such as sampling, estimation, hypothesis testing, and correlation. After this, you can move on to more specialized topics such as linear regression, non-parametric methods, analysis of variance, and time series analysis. A number of textbooks are available online to help you get started. We also recommend looking into online courses that cover topics in more depth than a traditional textbook. These courses often include interactive exercises and video lectures from experienced instructors. Some examples of courses include HarvardX's Statistics and Data Analysis, Udacity's Introduction to Statistics and Data Science, and Coursera's Introduction to Statistics with R. Finally, there are many excellent websites and blogs that provide helpful tutorials and resources for learning statistics. Examples include Khan Academy, Stat Trek, and OpenIntro. These are great resources for brushing up on your knowledge or learning something new.

1. What is statistics?

Statistics is a branch of mathematics that deals with collecting, organizing, analyzing, and interpreting data. It involves using numerical methods to understand and make conclusions about real-world phenomena.

2. Why is it important to learn advanced basics of statistics?

Statistics is essential in various fields such as science, business, and social sciences. Understanding advanced basics of statistics can help individuals make informed decisions based on data, identify patterns and trends, and communicate findings effectively.

3. What topics are included in advanced basics of statistics?

Advanced basics of statistics typically cover topics such as probability, hypothesis testing, correlation and regression, and data analysis techniques. These topics build upon the fundamental concepts of statistics and provide a deeper understanding of how to use statistical methods to draw conclusions from data.

4. Can I learn advanced basics of statistics without a strong mathematical background?

While a strong mathematical background can certainly be beneficial, it is not a requirement to learn advanced basics of statistics. Many online resources and courses offer step-by-step explanations and examples that can help individuals with varying levels of mathematical knowledge to understand and apply statistical concepts.

5. How can I apply what I learn in advanced basics of statistics in real life?

The applications of statistics are vast and can be seen in fields such as healthcare, education, marketing, and finance. With a solid understanding of advanced basics of statistics, individuals can use statistical methods to analyze data, make predictions, and inform decision-making in various industries and everyday life situations.