1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Least-squares problem

1. Aug 6, 2005 #1
    Hello,

I'm stuck with a chemistry problem as I did not have any statistics course so far and don't really understand the explanations I found online.

It's about dating rock and I'm supposed to use the least-squares method to calculate the slope and intercept of a linear isochron.

I can solve the problem with any given pair of data, but my results differ quiet a lot when I try to use a least-squares method as described on different websites (so I probably don't understand it, which also shows as I don't quiet know what the result actually represents)

Here's a rather random set of data

x - y
    700 - 17
    40 - 2
    100 - 3
    150 - 4

further given:
    slope m=e^(labda t) - 1
    and
    t=(1/labda)ln(m+1)
    labda = 1.4x10^-11

Any help is greatly appreciated

lil'me

edit: I know that I get the slope as one result and can calculate the time with it. I also know how to calculate the intercept if y=mx+b and mx being the slope and b the intercept. I just don't know which figure to use for y.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted