Length Contraction Thought Experiment: Spot Mistake/Wrong Assumption

In summary, Alice travels in a spaceship and measures the time interval it takes for a light beam to travel from one end to another. From Bob's perspective, the length of the spaceship is calculated using the full Lorentz transform formula, taking into account the relativity of simultaneity. Using this formula, the length of the spaceship is (1 - β)1/2 / (1 + β)1/2 times the original length measured by Alice. In order to avoid mistakes, it is recommended to use the full Lorentz transform instead of simplified formulas for length contraction and time dilation.
galm_2727
TL;DR Summary
I was trying to come up with a thought experiment for showing the length contraction, but I'm not getting the correct expression and I can't see where is the mistake.
Alice travels in a spaceship, which she measures to be L. The spaceship is moving with velocity v relatively to Bob. Alice makes a light beam traveling along the spaceship and measures the time interval it takes to go from one end to another, ΔtA.

So, equation (1): L = c × ΔtA

From Bob's point of view, the light beam will take a time ΔtB and the length of the spaceship will be:

L' = c × ΔtB - v × ΔtB = (1 - β) × c ΔtB

But ΔtB = ϒ ΔtA. Therefore:

L' = (1 - β) ϒ c ΔtA

Using (1), we have:

L' = (1 - β)1/2 / (1 + β)1/2 L

Could you help me spot my mistake/wrong assumption?

Physics news on Phys.org
galm_2727 said:
But ΔtB = ϒ ΔtA.
Here is the mistake. This formula does not apply here.

I recommend against using the simplified length contraction and time dilation formulas for exactly this reason. I recommend using the full Lorentz transform instead. That will automatically simplify when appropriate, but will avoid mistakes like this.

Likes Pencilvester, vanhees71 and galm_2727
As Dale says, you can't naively use the time dilation formula here - doing so neglects the relativity of simultaneity. You need to use the full Lorentz transforms.

Likes vanhees71, Dale and galm_2727
Dale said:
Here is the mistake. This formula does not apply here.

I recommend against using the simplified length contraction and time dilation formulas for exactly this reason. I recommend using the full Lorentz transform instead. That will automatically simplify when appropriate, but will avoid mistakes like this.
Thank you.

Likes Dale
galm_2727 said:
From Bob's point of view, the light beam will take a time ΔtB and the length of the spaceship will be:
If light is traveling in the same direction as the ship (toward the front) then t = LB/(c-v).
If light is traveling toward the back of the ship, t = LB/(c+v)

1. What is the Length Contraction Thought Experiment?

The Length Contraction Thought Experiment is a hypothetical scenario used in physics to illustrate the concept of length contraction. It involves a moving object, such as a spaceship, and an observer measuring the length of the object from different reference frames.

2. What is the purpose of the Length Contraction Thought Experiment?

The purpose of the Length Contraction Thought Experiment is to demonstrate the effects of special relativity on the measurement of length. It helps to explain how an object's length can appear to change when observed from different reference frames.

3. How does the Length Contraction Thought Experiment work?

In the thought experiment, a moving object is observed from two different reference frames: one in which the object is at rest and one in which the object is moving at a high velocity. The observer in the moving reference frame will measure the length of the object to be shorter than the observer in the stationary frame.

4. What is the common mistake or wrong assumption made in the Length Contraction Thought Experiment?

The most common mistake or wrong assumption made in the Length Contraction Thought Experiment is that the object is physically changing in length. In reality, it is the measurement of the object that is affected by the observer's reference frame and the effects of special relativity.

5. How does the Length Contraction Thought Experiment relate to real-world scenarios?

The Length Contraction Thought Experiment is a theoretical concept used to explain the effects of special relativity on measurements. However, it has practical applications in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics, where objects are moving at high velocities and their measurements are affected by relativity.