Length/Time Period squared Relationship of a Simple Pendulum

In summary, the L/T^2 relationship for a simple pendulum gives a constant of g/(2pi)^2 and is derived from the differential equation of the pendulum bob's force, which can be solved for small angles. The parameters A0 and phi represent the initial conditions of the pendulum's motion and can be adjusted accordingly. To insert symbols, Latex must be used.
Thinker8921
I know the L/T^2 relationship of a simple pendulum gives a constant- g/(2pi)^2.
Could anyone please show me how it is derived?
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thinker8921 said:
I know the L/T^2 relationship of a simple pendulum gives a constant- g/(2pi)^2.
Could anyone please show me how it is derived?
Thanks in advance.

The force on the pendulum bob is:

[tex]F = -mgsin\theta = ma = mL\ddot\theta[/tex]

For small angles, [itex]sin\theta \approx \theta[/itex] so you have the differential equation:

[tex]\ddot\theta = -\frac{g}{L}\theta[/tex] the solution of which is:

[tex]\theta = A_0\sin(\omega t + \phi)[/tex] where [itex]\omega^2 = g/L [/itex] with [itex]\omega = 2\pi/T[/itex]

AM

Thankyou for the reply. I think I should have been a little clearer. I am in high school and this depth is a little new so I don't understand the whole explanation.
-The theta sign with the 2 dots*, I am thinking it is angular acceleration? That way, mLa will be torque of the pendulum bob.
- I get the differential, however not the next step with the A zero sign and phi sign. What do they represent. Is it (Started calculus a week ago).
Please could you clear my doubts.
Thanks again.
*How do I insert the actual symbols in this?

Thinker8921 said:
Thankyou for the reply. I think I should have been a little clearer. I am in high school and this depth is a little new so I don't understand the whole explanation.
Welcome to PF, by the way.
-The theta sign with the 2 dots*, I am thinking it is angular acceleration? That way, mLa will be torque of the pendulum bob.
That's right.
- I get the differential, however not the next step with the A zero sign and phi sign. What do they represent. Is it (Started calculus a week ago).
These are parameters for the initial condition. The A0 (I could have said [itex]\theta_0[/itex]) is the maximum value of [itex]\theta[/itex], which occurs when the sin term = 1. The [itex]\phi[/itex] is simply to adjust for the phase - ie. when the amplitude maximum occurs in relation to t. For example if amplitude was maximum at t=0, you would set [itex]\phi = \pi/2[/itex] so that the sin term gave a value of 1 (which is the maximum value for sin).

The idea here is that if you take the second derivative of [itex]\theta_0\sin (\omega t + \phi)[/itex] you get [itex]-\omega^2\theta_0\sin (\omega t + \phi)[/itex], which is simply [itex]-\omega^2[/itex] x the original function. Generally if the second derivative is -[itex]\omega^2 [/itex] multiplied by the original function, the function must be a some sort of sine wave with frequency [itex]\omega[/itex]. You will learn how to solve this kind of equation when you study differential equations.

*How do I insert the actual symbols in this?
You have to use Latex. See https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997" for help on Latex.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, this has made it clearer to me.

Related to Length/Time Period squared Relationship of a Simple Pendulum

1. What is the length/time period squared relationship of a simple pendulum?

The length/time period squared relationship of a simple pendulum is an important concept in physics that describes how the length of a pendulum affects its time period, or the time it takes for one complete swing. This relationship was first discovered by Galileo in the 16th century and is expressed as T^2 = 4π^2(L/g), where T is the time period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the length of a pendulum affect its time period?

As the length of a pendulum increases, its time period also increases. This means that the longer the pendulum, the longer it takes for one complete swing. This is because the longer pendulum has a larger swing arc and therefore takes a longer time to complete one cycle.

3. What is the significance of the length/time period squared relationship?

The length/time period squared relationship is significant because it allows us to accurately predict the time period of a pendulum based on its length. This relationship has been used in various fields, such as clock-making and seismology, and has helped scientists better understand the concept of periodic motion.

4. Does the mass of the pendulum affect its time period?

No, the mass of the pendulum does not affect its time period. As long as the length and amplitude of the pendulum remain constant, the time period will also remain constant regardless of the mass. This is because the force of gravity acts equally on all objects, regardless of their mass.

5. How can the length/time period squared relationship be verified experimentally?

The length/time period squared relationship can be verified experimentally by conducting a simple pendulum experiment with different lengths and measuring the time period for each length. The results can then be plotted on a graph, with length on the x-axis and time period squared on the y-axis. The graph should show a linear relationship, confirming the validity of the equation T^2 = 4π^2(L/g).