Lenz's law for point charge in time varying magnetic field?

In summary, the conversation is about a point charge entering a uniform magnetic field at a specific velocity and direction. The particle eventually reaches a steady state of uniform circular motion with a radius calculated by the equation r = mv/qB. However, when the magnetic field starts to vary in time, the behavior of the particle becomes unclear. If the field increases, the particle will eventually come to a rest, and if the field decreases, the radius and induced emf will both increase. The speaker is unsure about the physics behind this scenario and is seeking explanations.
cfitzU2
Hello friends,

So I have a point charge with mass m and charge +e entering a uniform magnetic field B at velocity v from the "right". The field is perp to the velocity pointing "in", so I see that eventually this particle reaches a steady state of uniform circular motion (counter clockwise) with radius r = mv/qB

After this point, the field starts to vary in time at, say, dB/dt = c = const >0

I am unsure as to what exactly happens to the particle... here's what I think:

If my expression for the radius is correct, then the particle will eventually (in the limit) come to a rest, since B going up implies r going down.

What I'm particularly confused about is whether or not there is an induced emf in the mean time, due to the circle swept out by the particle... and if so, would it be correct to say that the magnitude of this emf is decaying in time as B goes up? I think this because the flux area is going to zero...

Similarly, if the variation is dB/dt=-c=const<0 then the radius grows... and so does the emf? Albeit flowing the opposite direction to the first case...

This seems weird and, while the math seems straightforward, I'm not so sure about the physics...

Thanks for any explanations!

Physics news on Phys.org
Does no response mean this is really easy or no one knows it?

Because I haven't been able to find a similar issue... :(

What is Lenz's law for a point charge in a time varying magnetic field?

Lenz's law states that the direction of an induced current in a conductor will be such that it opposes the change in magnetic flux that produced it.

How does Lenz's law apply to point charges?

Lenz's law applies to point charges in the same way it applies to any conductor. The induced current will flow in a direction that opposes the change in magnetic flux, and this can be observed in the behavior of the charged particle.

What is a time varying magnetic field?

A time varying magnetic field is a magnetic field that changes in strength or direction over time. This can be caused by a moving magnet, or by a changing electric current.

How does Lenz's law relate to Faraday's law of induction?

Lenz's law is a consequence of Faraday's law of induction. Faraday's law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric field, which in turn can produce an induced current. Lenz's law specifies the direction of the induced current.

What are some real-world applications of Lenz's law for point charges in time varying magnetic fields?

Lenz's law is used in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It also plays a role in electromagnetic induction, which is used in technologies such as wireless charging and magnetic levitation.