Light bulb inside a box

• Thread starter fredreload
  • Start date
If it's a traditional light bulb.....simplest solution metal detector. Depending on the size of the box the place you get the loudest tone will be the location..... Some will even tell you what metal at what depth.

Well, how about a way to extract the light wave emitted by the light bulb? Is that possible

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
Well, how about a way to extract the light wave emitted by the light bulb? Is that possible
Don't change the question at this late stage. Use your own common sense. You say "extract light" and you say "not transparent". Doesn't that sound like a contradiction? If there was a way, it would by definition be transparent. There is no physics to learn from contradictory language.

Ygggdrasil
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
2019 Award
I suspect these questions are related to the questions that you've been asking about brain imaging in the biology form.

Anyway, if the bulb is incandescent, you could do thermal imaging (if the box is transparent to IR) to estimate the temperature of the filament inside the bulb. Since the light is produced by a well known physical mechanism, you could then model the spectrum of light output by the bulb based on measured parameters.

Likes Silicon Waffle
One could go back to basics with calculus such as the heat equation or consider this: Place a thermistor on the face of each side of the box then connect each pair of thermistors (x,y and, z,y planes for example) leads to a differential amplifier on a split supply. Using this approach the one use the differential voltage (+/- voltage swing) to determine which planes (side of the box ) is getting warmer. Are you sure the wattage of your light bulb will not start a fire or cause some other safety problem?

By using thermal camera shoot the box surface from the top, front and right side could be known the light bulb position. Good luck.
By using thermal camera shoot the box surface from the top, front and right side could be known the light bulb position. Good luck.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxKuwMQtCQESwXaOhujePd4bPh5n8jnxq7wPII0I7Rop8xeJiu.jpg

The thermal image is a cool way to do it. Maybe use the idea to build something like a new kind of trap. Perhaps feeding an input signal to a system operating in a closed or open loop control system

I suspect these questions are related to the questions that you've been asking about brain imaging in the biology form.

Anyway, if the bulb is incandescent, you could do thermal imaging (if the box is transparent to IR) to estimate the temperature of the filament inside the bulb. Since the light is produced by a well known physical mechanism, you could then model the spectrum of light output by the bulb based on measured parameters.
Yes well, I've been thinking about ways to visualize the actual electrical synapses inside a person's head. Well, I got an idea of lighting up the sodium ion with wavelength 589nm, or the solar roof technique, but both requires looking inside the brain. I swear I saw my brain light up one night, I'm just not sure how people retrieve that signal(through the eyes?). We know MRI can retrieve radio signal because it passes through, but the resolution is low. So, I'd like some idea on how to visualize electrical synapses

collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yes well, I've been thinking about ways to visualize the actual electrical synapses inside a person's head. Well, I got an idea of lighting up the sodium ion with wavelength 589nm, or the solar roof technique, but both requires looking inside the brain. I swear I saw my brain light up one night, I'm just not sure how people retrieve that signal(through the eyes?). We know MRI can retrieve radio signal because it passes through, but the resolution is low. So, I'd like some idea on how to visualize electrical synapses
I can't speak for your brain lighting up. But you may find some useful information about visualizing electromagnetic radiation within the visible spectrum from this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-decides-the-colour-of-light.842780/

21. Hit the box and calculate its vibrational modes on the x,y, and z axis. From the time response and the mass you should be able to calculate the moment of inertia and thus the mass distribution and thus the location of the bulb.

I can't speak for your brain lighting up. But you may find some useful information about visualizing electromagnetic radiation within the visible spectrum from this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-decides-the-colour-of-light.842780/
Right, I know the visible spectrum of light, the thing is most electromagnetic radiation of visible spectrum does not pass through the skull. I was able to see it through the reverse projection in the eye(not sure how that works but it was visible, it shouldn't be a dream), but even then my eyes are closed, so how do people retrieve that light remains a mystery, thing is technology like this or the brain does not appear over the years, most of them remain in secret