1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light intensity of UV component from a xenon lamp

1. Mar 12, 2012 #1
    I have a 100watt xenon lamp , the UV component comprises of 5-6% of the total spectrum emitted by the xenon lamp . How do I calculate at what power is the UV light emitted ?

Is the whole spectrum being emitted at 100 W or is the power distributed through the spectrum? How is this distribution of power related to the wavelength of light if latter is the case ?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2012 #2
    Sorry this is not an answer more of a warning if you get replies talking about the Planck distribution or black body curve please ignore them.

The distribution of energy between the different wavelengths in ionised xenon is a near impossible problem in quantum mechanics because of the many 'resonances' ie energy level differences the xenon plasma has.

for a picture of what you have see http://astro.u-strasbg.fr/~koppen/discharge/xenon.html

I know this is not of much help but fundamental physics has its limits - that's why its fun

Regards

Sam

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook