Limit of Absolute Sequence: Is the Sandwich Theorem Applicable?

In summary, the conversation discusses the sequence a_n = abs(sin(x))^(1/x) and finding its limit, assuming sequences imply x = 1, 2, 3, 4 ..., and using the sandwich theorem. The speaker suggests using M^(1/x) and 1 to prove that a_n goes to 1, but another speaker questions the existence of M and the validity of the assumption. The conversation also touches on the density of the real numbers and the definition of a limit.
ohreally1234

Homework Statement

Consider the sequence a_n = abs(sin(x))^(1/x)
Find the lim a_n if it exists

Homework Equations

None. This is for my calc 2 class.

The Attempt at a Solution

We are studying the sandwich theorem, so I thought 0 < M^(1/x) < abs(sin(x))^(1/x) < 1^(1/x).
(Because I assumed that sequences imply x = 1, 2, 3, 4 ..., so sin(x) never equals 0).

Since M^(1/x) and 1 both tend to 1, I reasoned a_n must go to 1.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean [tex]a_{n}=|sin(n)|^{\frac{1}{n}}[/tex]? Second, [tex]\sqrt[x]{1}[/tex] does not tend to 0 as x becomes large, nor does even [tex]\sqrt[x]{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]. That doesn't make using 1 any less valid, you just made an incorrect assumption.

Last edited:
sorry i meant that lim goes to 1. (fixed the typo in original post)

You're almost there, but I'm not convinced. Can you prove the existence of an M and that [tex]\sqrt[x]{M}[/tex] goes to 1 as x becomes large? I'm not sure how much rigor is required in your class.

Last edited:
I reasoned that M exists because the real numbers are dense.
and you can prove M^(1/x) goes to 1 using the definition of the limit.
Are there any holes in my argument?

ohreally1234 said:
(Because I assumed that sequences imply x = 1, 2, 3, 4 ..., so sin(x) never equals 0).

Well, it won't equal *exactly* 0, but doesn't the density of the reals imply that it gets arbitrarily close? What is [itex]\liminf_{n\to\infty}\left|\sin(n)\right|[/itex]?

hmm yeah i thought that part of my argument was a bit shady.
can anyone offer some insights?

ohreally1234 said:
I reasoned that M exists because the real numbers are dense.
The real numbers are dense in what?

and you can prove M^(1/x) goes to 1 using the definition of the limit.
Are there any holes in my argument?

What is the definition of a limit of an absolute sequence?

The limit of an absolute sequence is a value that the terms of the sequence approach as the index increases without bound. It is the value that the terms of the sequence get closer and closer to, but may not necessarily reach.

How is the limit of an absolute sequence calculated?

The limit of an absolute sequence can be calculated by finding the value that the terms of the sequence approach as the index increases without bound. This can be done by observing the pattern of the sequence and determining the value that the terms get closer and closer to.

What is the importance of the limit of an absolute sequence in mathematics?

The limit of an absolute sequence is important in mathematics because it allows us to understand the behavior of a sequence as the index increases. It helps us determine the convergence or divergence of a sequence, which is crucial in many mathematical concepts and applications.

Can the limit of an absolute sequence be infinite?

Yes, the limit of an absolute sequence can be infinite. This means that the terms of the sequence get larger and larger without bound. In this case, we say that the sequence diverges.

What are the key differences between the limit of an absolute sequence and the limit of a bounded sequence?

The key difference between the limit of an absolute sequence and the limit of a bounded sequence is that the limit of an absolute sequence can be infinite, while the limit of a bounded sequence is always a finite value. Additionally, the behavior of the terms in a bounded sequence is more predictable compared to those in an absolute sequence.