Convergence of Factorial Functions at Infinity

In summary, it can be shown that the limit of (n!)^2 * 4^n / (2n)! is equal to infinity, by using either the comparison test with the harmonic series or Stirling's approximation.
Zetison

Homework Statement

Show that the folowing holds:
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{(n!)^2 4^n}{(2n)!} = \infty[/tex]

Homework Equations

It can be shown that
[tex]\frac{(n!)^2 4^n}{(2n)!} = \prod_{k=1}^n \frac{4k}{k+n}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If I can proove that
[tex]\lim_{n\to\infty} \ln\left[\frac{(n!)^2 4^n}{(2n)!} \right] = \infty[/tex]
then I am done since the logarithm is a strictly increasing function.

By using the "Relevant equation" I have
[tex]\ln\left[\frac{(n!)^2 4^n}{(2n)!} \right] = \ln\left[\prod_{k=1}^n \frac{4k}{k+n}\right] = \sum_{k=1}^n \ln\left(\frac{4}{1+\frac{n}{k}}\right)[/tex]

But from here I don't get any further...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Zetison said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

It can be shown that

If I can proove that

[tex]\ln\left[\frac{(n!)^2 4^n}{(2n)!} \right] = \ln\left[\prod_{k=1}^n \frac{4k}{k+n}\right] = \sum_{k=1}^n \ln\left(\frac{4}{1+\frac{n}{k}}\right)[/tex]

Can't you just use Stirling's approximation on the factorials in the original problem?

I approached it a little differently than you - here was my thinking:

in the numerator distribute the 2's so that you get two products of only even numbers: ##\frac{(2*4*6*...*2n)^2}{2n!}## This would allow you to cancel out the even terms in the denominator and get ##\frac{2*4*6*...*2n}{1*3*5*...*2n-1}##. I then Identify this as ##\prod_{k=1}^n \frac{2k}{2k-1}##. From here you should be able to use logs to convert this product to a sum and use the integral test (or perhaps something else) to show that the sum must diverge.

Good Luck!

Zetison said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

It can be shown that

If I can proove that

If you don't like to use Stirling's approximation, you can use a modification of it to get both lower and upper bounds: for any integer ##k \geq 1## we have
[tex] \sqrt{2 \pi}k^{k + \frac{1}{2}}e^{-k} < k! < \sqrt{2 \pi}k^{k + \frac{1}{2}}e^{-k+ \frac{1}{12k}} [/tex]
This works well even for small k; for example, for k = 1 it gives
.9221370087 < 1 < 1.002274449 and for k = 2 it gives 1.919004351 < 2 < 2.000652047 .

For a simple proof, see Feller, "Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications, Vol I, Wiley (1967).

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! The method hapefish proposed worked very vell. The sum diverges by the comparison test with the harmonic series. I also solved the problem using stirlings formula, thanks a lot guys! :)

1. What is a factorial function?

A factorial function, denoted by the symbol "!", is a mathematical function that multiplies a given number by all of the positive integers that are smaller than it. For example, 5! (read as "five factorial") is equal to 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

2. How do you calculate the limit of a factorial function?

The limit of a factorial function can be calculated using the formula Lim n → ∞ n! = ∞ (infinity). This means that as the value of n (the input of the function) increases, the output of the function will also increase without bound.

3. What is the significance of the limit of a factorial function?

The limit of a factorial function is a useful concept in mathematics and physics, as it helps us understand the behavior of functions as their inputs approach infinity. It can also be used to evaluate complex mathematical expressions involving factorials.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the limit of factorial functions?

Yes, the limit of factorial functions has many real-world applications. It is often used in probability and statistics to calculate the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario. It is also used in physics to model the growth of populations and in computer science to analyze the efficiency of algorithms.

5. Can the limit of a factorial function be negative?

No, the limit of a factorial function cannot be negative. As the input of the function approaches infinity, the output will always increase without bound and cannot become negative. This is because factorials are only defined for positive integers.