Checking My Calculation: Stressful Math Class

In summary, the student is struggling with an exercise and is looking for help. They have provided an image of the problem and have tried to get help from their university, but to no avail. They ask for someone to explain how to solve the problem and apologize for asking multiple questions. Another student responds with a detailed explanation and shows the steps to solve the problem, providing hints and advice along the way. The summary concludes with the suggestion to solve for L and interpret the answer.
Nanie
Hi! I want to know if I do correctly this excercise!?:grumpy:

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/4857/calculo1ui2.png

I am in stress because of this class!

Me está volviendo loca!:yuck:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first one, the proffesor gave us a hint and I do that...but these two I have no idea how to start...

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9218/23yn8.png

I will really apreciate if anyone can tell me something, maybe just how to started it or what should I use, I tried to find some help in the university but they don't know how to do it.
And sorry if I post many topics in the forum but really I need som help :redface:

The proffesor gave us this kind of challenge of excercise :rofl: and here the tutors don't know how to solve the problems!:rofl::rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
oK, I'll try to help you on the 3rd one. In order to be able to find [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}x_n[/tex] you first need to show that the sequence

[tex] x_{n+1}=\frac{3+2x_{n}}{3+x_n}[/tex] is monotonic and bounded.

To show that it is monotonic( monotono increasing/decreasing) try to play around a little bit, by finding values, for n=0, n=1, n=2,

for example, we know that Xo=1.
now let n=0, and we get

[tex] x_1=\frac{3+2x_o}{3+x_o}=\frac{3+2}{3+1}=\frac{5}{4}[/tex] and also try for n=1, etc.

What do you see, it looks like that the sequence is increasing doesn't it?

Now, this is sufficient to try to use induction to prove it in general. THus we suppose that

[tex] x_n>x_{n-1}=>x_n-x_{n-1}>0--------(IH)[/tex] thus we suppose that x_n is increasing.
Now we want to prove that also

[tex] x_{n+1}-x_n>0 (?)[/tex]
that is:

[tex] \frac{3+2x_{n+1}}{3+x_n}-\frac{3+2x_{n-1}}{3+x_{n-1}}=...>0[/tex] You do the calculation.

SO, this means that [tex] x_n[/tex] is a monotono increasing sequence.

Now our job is to prove that it is upper bounded.

Ok, here it is what we do

[tex] x_{n+1}=\frac{3+2x_{n}}{3+x_n}<\frac{3+2x_n}{x_n}=\frac{3}{x_n}+2<5[/tex] since n>0, Xo=1, and since x_n is increasing.

Now, since the sequence is bounded and monotonic, we know that it converges somewhere. so let

[tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}x_n=L[/tex] Now,

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} x_{n+1}=\frac{3+2 \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}x_{n}}{3+\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}x_n}=>L=\frac{3+2L}{3+L}[/tex]

Now, all you need to do is solve for L, and interpret your answer.

Last edited:

1. How do I check my calculation in a stressful math class?

There are a few steps you can follow to check your calculation in a stressful math class. First, make sure you have written out the entire problem correctly and have all the necessary information. Then, double check your work for any careless mistakes. If possible, try to solve the problem using a different method or approach to confirm your answer. Finally, if you have time, go back and recheck your calculations to ensure they are correct.

2. What should I do if I am running out of time in a stressful math class?

If you find yourself running out of time in a stressful math class, prioritize the problems you know how to solve and skip over the ones that are giving you trouble. Make sure to show all of your work and write down any important formulas or equations that you may need to reference later. If you are still struggling with time management, consider seeking help from a teacher or tutor to improve your speed and efficiency.

3. How can I stay calm and focused during a stressful math class?

To stay calm and focused during a stressful math class, it is important to prepare beforehand by studying and practicing as much as possible. During the class, take deep breaths and try to focus on the problem at hand rather than letting your mind wander. If necessary, take a short break to clear your mind and refocus. Remember that it is normal to feel stressed in a math class, but staying calm and focused will help you perform better.

4. What are some common mistakes to watch out for when checking my calculation?

Some common mistakes to watch out for when checking your calculation include forgetting to carry a number or decimal point, mixing up positive and negative signs, and making simple arithmetic errors. It is also important to double check any conversions or unit changes you may have made, as these can often lead to mistakes. Finally, be sure to check your final answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

5. How can I improve my calculation accuracy in a stressful math class?

To improve your calculation accuracy in a stressful math class, practice is key. The more you practice solving various types of problems, the more familiar you will become with different techniques and strategies. It is also helpful to slow down and carefully read each problem, making sure you understand what is being asked before attempting to solve it. Additionally, try to identify and work on any specific areas where you may struggle, such as fractions or algebraic equations.