Limit - which result is correct?

• Thread starter twoflower
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the conversation discusses solving a limit problem and determining the correct result. One person shares their result of -24 and asks if it is correct, while another suggests using L'Hospital's rule to solve the problem. There is some discussion about the use of Maple to prove the result, and another person provides a solution without using L'Hospital's rule. In the end, it is determined that the result should be -24.
twoflower
Hi all,

I've been practising for the exam and did some limits from our master's collections:

[tex]
\lim_{x \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{3}} \frac{\tan^{3} x - 3\tan x}{\cos \left( x + \frac{\pi}{6} \right) }
[/tex]

I got the result -24, but there is written -12. Which one is correct? I tried to prove the result in Maple and Mathematica, but in neither I'm not able to get anything but symbolic result.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT:Bring your function to anither form,so that the limit can be put under the "conventional" form "->0".That requires a change of variable.

Daniel.

P.S.Can as in do you know how to apply L'Hôspital's rule??

Ok, so now I put the "L'Hospitaled" function to the Maple and it still gives me symbolic result...

Can Maple compute limits??Can u compute derivatives??CAN U BOTH SOLVE THIS SIMPLE PROBLEM?

Daniel.

twoflower said:
I got the result -24, but there is written -12. Which one is correct?

Your result is correct.

Just try to choose some value for x close enough to pi/3 and calculate the replacement value. You will see that it is far away from -12.

ehild

dextercioby said:
Can Maple compute limits??Can u compute derivatives??CAN U BOTH SOLVE THIS SIMPLE PROBLEM?

Daniel.

I don't understand. Using L'Hospital I got the result I wrote here. But the "official" result is different to mine. I was just asking how to prove it in Maple.

The point was: Why use MAPLE?? You can't PROVE the MAPLE calculation is correct by using MAPLE!
It's easy to calculate that the derivative of
tan3(x)- 3tan(x) is 3tan(x)sec2(x)- 3sec2(x) and certainly you should know that [itex]tan(\frac{\pi}{3})= \sqrt{3}[/itex] and that [itex]sec(\frac{\pi}{3}})= 2[/itex]. Of course, the derivative of [itex]cos(x+\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex] is [itex]-sin(x+\frac{\pi}{6})[/itex] and [itex]-sin(\frac{\pi}{2}})= -1[/itex].

The limit, by L'Hopital, is (3*3*4- 3(22)/-1= -(36-12)= -24.

HallsofIvy said:
The point was: Why use MAPLE?? You can't PROVE the MAPLE calculation is correct by using MAPLE!

I didn't want to prove the MAPLE calculation, I was trying to prove the teacher's calculation...

HallsofIvy said:
It's easy to calculate that the derivative of
tan3(x)- 3tan(x) is 3tan(x)sec2(x)- 3sec2(x) and certainly you should know that [itex]tan(\frac{\pi}{3})= \sqrt{3}[/itex] and that [itex]sec(\frac{\pi}{3}})= 2[/itex]. Of course, the derivative of [itex]cos(x+\frac{\pi}{6}[/itex] is [itex]-sin(x+\frac{\pi}{6})[/itex] and [itex]-sin(\frac{\pi}{2}})= -1[/itex].

The limit, by L'Hopital, is (3*3*4- 3(22)/-1= -(36-12)= -24.

That's indeed correct (notice that there's a typo, it should obviously be

"It's easy to calculate that the derivative of
tan3(x)- 3tan(x) is 3tan2(x)sec2(x)- 3sec2(x)"

i.e. there is a square in the first tan in the derivative but it's obviously a typo because HallsofIvy gave the correct numerical answer.

Just a thought: if someone forgets to square the sec(x), they will get -12. So that could be the origin of the incorrect answer -12.

Pat

The limit can be obtained even without L'Hopital's rule.

[tex]
\lim_{x \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{3}} \frac{\tan^{3} x - 3\tan x}{\cos \left( x + \frac{\pi}{6} \right) }=
\lim_{x \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{3}} \frac{\tan(x)(\tan^{2} x - 3)}{\cos ( x )\cos (\pi/6)-\sin(x)\sin(\pi/6)}=[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow
\frac{\pi}{3}}\frac{\tan(x)(tan(x)-\sqrt(3))(\tan(x)+\sqrt(3))}{1/2\cos(x)(\sqrt(3)-\tan(x))}=
\lim_{x \rightarrow \frac{\pi}{3}}\frac{-2\tan(x)(\tan(x)+\sqrt(3))}{\cos(x)}=\frac{-2\sqrt(3)(2\sqrt(3)}{1/2}=-24
[/tex]

ehild

ehild said:
The limit can be obtained even without L'Hopital's rule.
ehild

Nice ehild, I thought this is one of the limits which can't be solved without L'Hospital's rule...Thank you.

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a specific value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function or sequence near a certain point.

2. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function or sequence approaching from one side of a specific value, while a two-sided limit considers the behavior from both sides.

3. How do you determine the limit of a function or sequence?

The limit of a function or sequence can be determined by evaluating the function or sequence at values approaching the specified point and observing the resulting values.

4. Why can there be multiple limits for a single function or sequence?

A function or sequence can have multiple limits if it approaches different values from different directions. This can occur when there is a discontinuity or sharp turn in the function or sequence.

5. Which limit result is correct?

Both the one-sided and two-sided limits are considered correct, as long as they approach the same value. However, if the two-sided limit does not exist, then the one-sided limit that exists is considered the correct result.