Exploring the Boundaries of Charge Values: Limitations and Possibilities

• Thread starter JSapit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary, there are limitations on charge values, with an effective lower limit of one electron or proton and an upper limit that can cause ionization if potentials rise too high.
JSapit

Homework Statement

Are there any limitations on charge values? If yes, then explain the limitations. Is it possible to make charges as small as we want?

The Attempt at a Solution

It's a lab report question, and I'm not quite sure how to answer it. The only things I could think of are that there are limitations on how much a charge can hold because if there is a lot of charge on a particle then the faster the charge leaks into the atmosphere due to the ions in the air?

Am I close, or way off?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know there is an effective lower limit i.e an electron or proton.

For an upper limit then yes there is the ionization that can occur when potentials rise too high and electrons are encouraged to take a trip.

Aah, so I was right with the upper limit. For the lower limit, the limit is just one electron or one proton then?

JSapit said:
Aah, so I was right with the upper limit. For the lower limit, the limit is just one electron or one proton then?

Sounds good enough for government work.

Thanks for the help man. I appreciate it a lot.

1. What are the main factors that limit charge values?

The main factors that limit charge values are the physical and chemical properties of the material being charged, as well as the charging method and environment.

2. How do physical properties affect charge values?

Physical properties such as surface area, surface roughness, and conductivity can affect the amount of charge that can be held by a material.

3. How does the charging method impact charge values?

The charging method, such as triboelectric charging or induction charging, can affect the amount and type of charge that is generated on a material.

4. What role does the environment play in limiting charge values?

The environment, including temperature, humidity, and atmospheric conditions, can affect the charge values by altering the material's ability to hold a charge.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to high charge values?

Yes, high charge values can pose safety risks such as electric shock, fire, or explosion. It is important to properly manage and control charge values in order to prevent these hazards.