How do I compute the 3 individual line integrals for a given vector field?

In summary, Line integrals can be a little confusing, but if you parameterize the curve, they are easy to integrate.
Saladsamurai
Line Integrals (yayyy!)

Homework Statement

Picture2-12.png

Okay, so I have already done it using the surface integral; now I need to compute the 3 individual line integrals.

By definition, the integral (I will call it I since I am that creative) is given by:

[itex]I=\oint v\cdot\, dl[/itex]

[itex]v=<xy, 2yz, 3xz>[/itex]

[itex]dl=<dx, dy, dz>[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow v\dot dl=xydx+2yzdy+3xzdz[/itex]

So the three individual integrals are:

along the base of the triangle,

[itex]I_1=\int_o^2 xydx+2yzdy+3xzdz [/itex]

along the height of the triangle,

[itex]I_2=\int_o^2 xydx+2yzdy+3xzdz[/itex]

Now the hypoteneuse is what is getting me (I think),

I need to again evaluate [itex]\int xydx+2yzdy+3xzdz[/itex]

Are my bounds just from 0--->(2-y) ?

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org

I am looking at my work and now I think that I really do not know what I am doing.

I do not understand what these integrals even mean.

There are three lines i, ii, and iii that correspond to the base, height and hyp, respectively.

When I integrate along i, I am integrating v dot dl from y=0 to y=2 right?

Don't you have to parameterize the curve?

Let's start with the base (i): What can you say about the values of x and z all the way along the base? ...that should simplify your vector function a little. Now, what variable changes along the base? Clearly that will be your integration variable for that section of the path.

The same applies to the height (ii).

The hypotenuse is a little trickier: what can you say about the values of x and y along the hypoteneuse? :wink: ...So what is the relationship between dx and dy?... So dl=___?

JaWiB said:
Don't you have to parameterize the curve?

This sounds familiar.

gabbagabbahey said:
Let's start with the base (i): What can you say about the values of x and z all the way along the base? ...that should simplify your vector function a little. Now, what variable changes along the base? Clearly that will be your integration variable for that section of the path.

The same applies to the height (ii).

The hypotenuse is a little trickier: what can you say about the values of x and y along the hypoteneuse? :wink: ...So what is the relationship between dx and dy?... So dl=___?

I think I confused myself. I forgot that the triangle is (more or less) the domain of v ...NOT the function that is being integrated. Silly me.

So... let me review my Calc notes to see how we parameterize the curves. I realize that it is probably a simple problem, but I rather do it the hard way.

I wouldn't bother parameterizing such a simple curve. The hypotenuse is just a straight line segment that can be written either as [itex]z=m_1y+b_1[/itex] or [itex]y=m_2z+b_2[/itex] with y and z both going from 0 to 2. Hence, [itex]dz=m_1y[/itex] and [itex]dy=m_2z[/itex]. In this way, you can write both your vector function and your dl in terms of a single variable (y or z) and its differential and then integrate from 0 to*2.

Along the base line z= 0 (and, of course, dx= dz= 0) so the integral of 2zy dy is easy.

Along the vertical x= 0 (and dx= dy= 0) so the integral of 3xz dz is easy.

Along the hypotenuse of the triangle y+ z= 2 so dy+ dz= 0 and dx=0.
y= 2- z, x= 0 and dy= -dz so 2zy dy+ 3xz dz= 2z(2-z)(-dz)+ 3(0)zdz= (4z- 2z2)(-dz)= (2z2- 4z)dz. Integrate that from z= 0 to z= 2.

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral that involves integrating a function along a curve or path. It is used in mathematics and physics to calculate quantities such as work, flux, and circulation along a specific path.

How is a line integral calculated?

To calculate a line integral, the path or curve is divided into small segments, and the function is evaluated at each point along the path. These values are then multiplied by the length of the segment and added together to find the overall value of the integral.

What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

The main difference between a line integral and a regular integral is that a line integral is evaluated along a specific path or curve, while a regular integral is evaluated over a fixed interval. Additionally, a line integral also involves multiplying by the length of the path, while a regular integral does not.

In what fields of study are line integrals commonly used?

Line integrals are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in calculating work done by a force, electric and magnetic fields, and fluid flow along a specific path.

What are some real-world applications of line integrals?

Some real-world applications of line integrals include calculating the work done by a force to move an object along a curved path, finding the amount of fluid flowing through a pipe, and determining the electric potential around a charged object.