1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line Integrals (yayyy )

1. Jan 1, 2009 #1
    Line Integrals (yayyy!!)

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

Okay, so I have already done it using the surface integral; now I need to compute the 3 individual line integrals.

By definition, the integral (I will call it I since I am that creative) is given by:

[itex]I=\oint v\cdot\, dl[/itex]

[itex]v=<xy, 2yz, 3xz>[/itex]

[itex]dl=<dx, dy, dz>[/itex]

[itex]\Rightarrow v\dot dl=xydx+2yzdy+3xzdz[/itex]

So the three individual integrals are:

along the base of the triangle,

[itex]I_1=\int_o^2 xydx+2yzdy+3xzdz [/itex]

along the height of the triangle,

[itex]I_2=\int_o^2 xydx+2yzdy+3xzdz[/itex]

Now the hypoteneuse is what is getting me (I think),

I need to again evaluate [itex]\int xydx+2yzdy+3xzdz[/itex]

Are my bounds just from 0--->(2-y) ?

Casey

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 1, 2009 #2
    Re: Line Integrals (yayyy!!)

I am looking at my work and now I think that I really do not know what I am doing.

I do not understand what these integrals even mean.

There are three lines i, ii, and iii that correspond to the base, height and hyp, respectively.

When I integrate along i, I am integrating v dot dl from y=0 to y=2 right?

4. Jan 1, 2009 #3

Don't you have to parameterize the curve?

5. Jan 1, 2009 #4

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Let's start with the base (i): What can you say about the values of x and z all the way along the base? ...that should simplify your vector function a little. Now, what variable changes along the base? Clearly that will be your integration variable for that section of the path.

The same applies to the height (ii).

The hypotenuse is a little trickier: what can you say about the values of x and y along the hypoteneuse? :wink: ....So what is the relationship between dx and dy?.... So dl=___?

6. Jan 2, 2009 #5

This sounds familiar.

I think I confused myself. I forgot that the triangle is (more or less) the domain of v ...NOT the function that is being integrated. Silly me.

So... let me review my Calc notes to see how we parameterize the curves. I realize that it is probably a simple problem, but I rather do it the hard way.

7. Jan 2, 2009 #6

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't bother parameterizing such a simple curve. The hypotenuse is just a straight line segment that can be written either as [itex]z=m_1y+b_1[/itex] or [itex]y=m_2z+b_2[/itex] with y and z both going from 0 to 2. Hence, [itex]dz=m_1y[/itex] and [itex]dy=m_2z[/itex]. In this way, you can write both your vector function and your dl in terms of a single variable (y or z) and its differential and then integrate from 0 to*2.

8. Jan 2, 2009 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Along the base line z= 0 (and, of course, dx= dz= 0) so the integral of 2zy dy is easy.

Along the vertical x= 0 (and dx= dy= 0) so the integral of 3xz dz is easy.

Along the hypotenuse of the triangle y+ z= 2 so dy+ dz= 0 and dx=0.
    y= 2- z, x= 0 and dy= -dz so 2zy dy+ 3xz dz= 2z(2-z)(-dz)+ 3(0)zdz= (4z- 2z2)(-dz)= (2z2- 4z)dz. Integrate that from z= 0 to z= 2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?