1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra - Determinant functions

1. Aug 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let R be the field of real numbers, and let D be a function on 2x2 matrices over R, with values in R, such that D(AB) = D(A)D(B) for all A, B. Suppose that D(I) != D ([0 1 1 0])

Prove that
    a) D(0) = 0
    b) D(A) = 0 if A2= 0
    c) D(B) = -D(A) if B is obtained by interchanging the rows of A
    d) D(A) = 0 if one row of A is 0
    e) D(A) = 0 whenever A is singular

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can prove a) by assuming A=B=0. But that also leaves the case that D(0) = 1 which I don't know how to disprove. I'm clueless on the rest of them.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the first one, try letting B unspecified (arbitrary).
    For the second one, use A = B.

4. Aug 13, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For the third one, use that D(I) is not equal to D(J) where I=[[1,0],[0,1]] and J=[[0,1],[1,0]]. If D(I)=1 then D(J) MUST be -1. Can you show that using I^2=J^2=I? Now use that for any matrix A, JA is A with the rows interchanged.

5. Aug 13, 2009 #4

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That one's kinda brilliant :)

6. Aug 13, 2009 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Kinda fun is what it is. That's a cute problem.

7. Aug 13, 2009 #6
    I proved e) and therefore automatically proved d) as follows.

Let Q be the matrix [ [1 -1] [1 -1] ]. I have some singular function which will be of the form P = [ [X Y] [cX cY] ] where c is some arbitrary constant. Let L = [ [X Y] [0 0] ]

Now Q times L is [ [X Y] [X Y] ] which is singular. Other singular matrices P can be made by "modifying" the bottom row of Q i.e. multiplying the bottom row of Q by some scalar c will give you any other singular function of the form P that can be made from L. So let us consider the most basic case.

D(QL) = D(Q)D(L) .... Given
    but D(Q) = 0 since Q2 = 0
    Now, D(QL) = D(P) since QL = P
    So, D(QL) = 0 = D(P)

Therefore, since c can take value zero also, the above result is true for ANY singular matrix, inluding L itself. Hence d) is also proved.

8. Aug 13, 2009 #7
    Dick that was awesome!Thanks! Thanks CompuChip! Check my above post too.

9. Aug 13, 2009 #8
    Here's part of a follow up question to that question (I proved the first part myself)

D is an alternating 2-linear function on 2x2 matrices over some commutative ring K with identity. Using D(A) = det A D(I) show that det (AB) = (detA)(detB) without using computations with the entries.

I proved that D(A) = det (A) D(I) for 2x2 matrices, but I can't seem to prove that second part.

10. Aug 13, 2009 #9

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can't you just write
    det(AB) = D(AB) / D(I)
    because D(I) is non-zero, and use what you know about D, in particular D(AB)?

11. Aug 14, 2009 #10
    But for this follow up question, I cannot assume that D(AB) = D(A)D(B) and it is not given so.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook