1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Exam review

1. Mar 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. True or False: If the rank of a 9x10 matrix A is 5, then the kernel of A is 4-dimensional

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. I was explained that it is true because the rank and nullity of A must be 10, but I don't understand why. I understand the dimension theorem that states the sum of the nullity and rank of a transformation must equal the dimension of the domain but how is the matrix represented as a linear transformation. and what would be the domain of this transformation. I was thinking if its a 9x10 matrix T: R^10 to R^9 could a transformation and the matrix representation of T could be A. Then R^10 would be the domain and so the dimension is 10. That is why the nullity must be 5 and not 4. If I am wrong or if there is another way of approaching this problem give me your input.

Also the way i solved the problem i calculated the nullity and rank of T rather then the matrix representation of T which is = A. Is doing it as I did the same, because I feel like im looking not at the rank and nullity of A.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2012 #2
    I think what you did was right, no need to worry about the difference between A and T, they are essentially identical

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook